• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So what are you all using? [video]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maharg

Apparently, as Quake 4, COD2, and F.E.A.R., are telling me, my video card is out of date!

What do you all use to play these games at nice high resolutions with lots of eye candy (still retaining a high FPS)...?

My 9600XT plays COD2 @ 45ish FPS @ 800x600...
F.E.A.R. just seems like a ridiculous system resource hog, but can people here play it with nice video features? Just thought I'd ask since I'm a bit behind in my vid card knowledge.

My BFG 6800oc has been pretty good to me thus far.
Still able to run the new games at a higher resolution with all the eyecandy turned on :)

my 7800GT Runs games fine no LAG i play QUAKE4 @1280*1024 on high with 60+ FPS i can play HL2 with AA+AF MAXED

I think i am in need of an upgrade i ca only get 2-5 frames @1280*1024 on high.

X800XT - runs things quite well, im going to upgrade my cpu from this old XP before replacing this gfx card

dads 6800nu - very good card for the price, seems to run games just as well as my X800XT with just a little less AA / AF which again, fantastic for the price.

on FEAR, niether of those cards would get many more frames @ 1280x1024 on high if that includes soft shadows :p

256mb 9800XT

It has been holding up pretty well of its age,decent FPS on 1024*768. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade yet, as AGP is being phased out and i would have to buy a new mobo to go PCI-E.

I am on a X850XTPE. Seems to run most games well on any res I set the game at.

x800xl Think they are getting pretty cheap.I can play just about everything at 1024 with max af/aa, some things higher resolution.

If you're going to run these games at high resolutions with eye candy cranked up, it's gonna take a 7800GTX or better. 1600x1200 with anything above 4x/8x will bring even an OC'd 6800GT to it's knees, and you will be watching the slide show. Doom III and Quake 4 as well as the new FEAR are murder on video cards. Even with a 7800GTX if you get alot of fire and units on the screen you're gonna see it slowdown.

Do a search on the Internet and look for screenshots with FPS counters and you can see where they start to really work hard to keep up. When it's in the dark, and there aren't very mnay units they fly, but when the $#!^ hits the fan and there's lots of explosions and fire, and all kinds of units, they slow way down.

Using high res, and high setting on the AA/AF slows them down further.

hey 'Maharg', i also hv a 9600xt !
it aint that gd, but still does the job right!. on the cod2 demo it ran fine on 1024x768, but with the dx7 feature on & all candy.
but when i put it on dx9, it went a bit slower.... & had to swicht off some candy to med/low for 30-35 fps.

by the way, my stock is 500/338. it uses 2.8 hynix memory, but i got a modified bios for samsung 2.5 memory. it wicked!! :santa:
now workz @ 550/400, & thats the stock !!...

7800GT at stock speeds right here. Runs everything great along with my 3700 Diego at 2.70GHz which i will try and sqeazy 50 more MHz out of it.

I have a year old X800XT and like to run at high resolution with all the eye candy turned on. But, this newest crop of games are bringing my card to it's knees when playing at my preferred settings. Don't get me wrong, if I drop the resolution down a notch or two and drop the quality settings a little, then it's quite playable. So, if you want high FPS, high image quality, and high resolution, then you need to step up to the new generation of PCI-E vid cards like the 7800 or X1800.

Back