• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to keep em on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

OK, i need a clever way to convince my dad to let me keep my crunchers on while im away at school.

There are currently 2x 950mhz celerons, an old vaio notebook w/ amd XP mobile @ 1.0ghz, my gaming tower in sig, and another Athlon XP bassed tower...

The latitude in sig crunches when not running on bateries in lectures... at least i have this one with me and can keep it semi-crunching.

OK, so any clever ideas?

You can tell them that they need to be keep updated using the Windows Auto Update Feature.....and that this need to keep a constant watch on new patches so to keep unwanted intruders in your personal data :D

One day you can run a spyware scan, then another day a virus scan, then defrag.

Keeping the heating bill down works too.

uh, bring it to your dorm and let it run in the closet? =P

Your dad isnt an easy one to crack, what about telling him you have an ftp server set up and you need file access? but he'll want to know why... make something up!

I wonder how long it would be untill he found them if i just 'hid' them in the basement?

Not enough power or space to run em at the dorm... my tower comes down soon though i tihnk.

Hey, DJ (n1nj4) wana take care of the slow ones on a 5 port Switch? put em on one of your KVM's?
*2x celerons and the AMD vaio notebook.*

Well, i guess i could tell him what i'm doing... maybe i can get him to run it on the old mainframe in his office /drool do they have a boinc client for SUN mainframes?

As for heat, my comp room was pushing 100F over the summer, he would rather have the gas furnace heat his house than the PC's - witch is paramount to trying to heat your house with light bulbs.

I'd say just tell him what your doing. Explain to him what BOINC is, look up different projects, maybe theres something that he would find to be worth donating some of his electric bill to?

Or you could just offer to pay what it'll cost to have them running 24/7

Keeping the heating bill down works too.
If you can find someone that uses electric heat in there home, ask them what there bills are. Gas prices are going up this winter, but its still way cheaper then heating with electric.

LOL, my mom uses electric to heat a rahter large house, her bill will always be higher than my dads... i know - i grew up in that ice cube in the winter lol.

I think ill be able to convince him to keep it on... make something up about using a file server in there and he'll be ok with it.

As for the other idea... i need to find out if i can have a "boinc" job put into the que at his office... think of the credits i'd earn with a decent mainframe. - too bad it wont ever happen for a variety of reasons.

Back