• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First trojan out that uses the Sony/BMG DRM Root Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think its great, since now sony is really screwed. before it was just a possible exploit. now its reared its head to slap them in the face :clap:

Me thinks Sony/BMG is not the only record label using this malware. They're just the first to get caught. I've a suspicion other record labels are discretely scrambling to cover their tracks (no pun intended).

zip22 said:
i think its great, since now sony is really screwed. before it was just a possible exploit. now its reared its head to slap them in the face :clap:

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving company! :p

My brother is a big fanboy of Sony, heck I used to like them to, but after this I will NEVER buy another Sony product. Only way to fix things like this is to hurt the companies in their pocket and one way of doing that is to not support their products.

Hmm just wondering, is it at all possible that Sony has had a revelation and is trying to kill off physical containers of content. Think about it, a CD can be played and played, it's reasonably permanent. Maybe they like some of the new DRM models where you buy a file and you have the right to lose it every time you reformat, crash, or change computers. I mean, why sell the content once when some users could end up buying it 30 times over....

However, I kinda wish I was still buying CDs so I could stop buying them all over again :/

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Hmm just wondering, is it at all possible that Sony has had a revelation and is trying to kill off physical containers of content. Think about it, a CD can be played and played, it's reasonably permanent. Maybe they like some of the new DRM models where you buy a file and you have the right to lose it every time you reformat, crash, or change computers. I mean, why sell the content once when some users could end up buying it 30 times over....

Mainly because the Supreme Court has already weighed in on the matter. in TWENTIETH CENTURY MUSIC CORP. v. AIKEN, 422 U.S. 151 (1975) they held that:

Justice Stewart said:
To hold that respondent "performed" the copyrighted works would obviously result in a wholly unenforceable regime of copyright law, and would also be highly inequitable, since one in respondent's position would be unable to protect himself from infringement liability. Such a ruling, moreover, would authorize the sale of an untold number of licenses for what is basically a single rendition of a copyrighted work, thus conflicting with the balanced purpose of the Copyright Act of assuring the composer an adequate return for the value of his composition while at the same time protecting the public from oppressive monopolies.

Gotta love findlaw.com

Back