• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 or Chaintech VNF3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleeper

Registered
I am looking to upgrade my setup and have been doing a lot of reading over the past few days. I have beem looking at skt754 boards, and it seems that the DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb and Chaintech VNF3-250 are the top choices. I am a bit overwhelmed and confused right now. From a quick search, (TigerDirect & Canada Computer) I can get the DFI for $129.99 and the Chaintech for $121.99. Everything says spend the extra $8.00 and go with the DFI but... If I go with the DFI will I have to upgrade things like my PS, and have to buy really good Ram to get it to work without problem. Is it that sensitive? Will the DFI cost me a lot more in the long run? If I go with the Chaintech is it less sensitive to Ram choice, and easier to setup and run? I have read so many conflicting stories about both, that I really don't know what to believe. Help :shrug:
I'm not a hard core OC'r, but I will want to play a bit. :)
I am still on the fence with cpu choice. Cheap Sempron 2800+ and OC a lot, or spend more and go for a A64 3400- 3700+ play a bit, and not have to upgrade for a while.

Thanks
Paul

DFI.

I don't know what PSU you have but if it's a generic, I would upgrade it regardless of which board you buy.

you would want at least PC3200 to keep pace with the Athlon64. Unless you have low latency ram, which it doesn't appear you do.

Myself, I would skip S754 altogether and go for S939

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I already have an upgraded 450W PS, but it is just a cheapy no name. I don't want to open that can of worms over the 754 vs 939 debate :argue: , but I really don't think I would ever make the best use out of a s939 and for the costs the 754's right now, it seems the better way to go. I know I am going to have to buy ram anyway, but there can be a huge price difference when it comes to quality needed for specific MB's, especially when you are limited to certain manufacturers. Just looking for a reality check.
I did look at the Gigabyte K8N5N XP but didn't read anything stellar about it.
Karl
What is the model # of your board?

Paul

DFI's full model number is Lanparty UT NF3 250GB.
A stellar board if I must say so myself.

It runs perfectly on either my Corsair Value Ram (2x256M) or my Corsair XMS Platinum (2x512M), A64 2800+ or DTR A64 3000+ mobile chip. I've yet to try my Mushkin special 2.2.2 in it, but I'm sure it would.
One of the most stable boards I've ever run, and I'd recommend it over Abit even.

Oh, it's a 20 pin power board, so I use a Fortron 400 watter with the 20 pin connector and SATA power. I haven't tried OCing it yet, time is never on my side to play. :{

The extra $8 bucks is worth it really, DFI includes 2 Yellow rounded IDE, 1 yellow rounded floppy and 2 yellow SATA cables, as well as a SATA power adapter should you upgrade harddrives in the future.

Last edited:
I've owned the DFI NF3-250GB as well, and am speaking from experience, that it is a great board. Probably more options for tweaking than the average person needs.

If you're content with S754, then by all means, go for it. I was just presenting an option in case you weren't familiar with the differences. No offense intended.

My reason for avoiding S754 is that even the Sempron's are going to S939 now (supposedly by year end), and then to Socket M2 in the future. That pretty much leaves S754 in the ground and dead, imo. S939 will die too but it will be at a later date.

No debate, just stating some clear facts.

Thanks guys! Your input is greatly appreciated.
Fool
I didn't realize that it was a 20pin PS board. I have been doing as much research as I can on the necessary components needed for the upgrade and was looking at 24 pin PS's. :bang head
I may be able to keep my old 450w unit.
It looks like I am going to use the XP 90 heatsink.
I am still trying to decipher the CPU technology. (diff between Mobile Sempron, Sempron, Mobile Athlon) I guess budget ($150?) has a lot to do with my choices. I'm looking for the something that OC's decently.
Trying to wrap my head around ram choices, and Bios matches. (Again dependent on budget $100+/-) Something that is stable but OC'able.

Know Nuttin
I do appreciate you giving me options. I've just read some pretty good arguments for the 754 stuff, and tend to think at my level and budget, it will suffice

Paul

Back