• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

850XT and a Dell 2405

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Modded Logic

Registered
Need to upgrade Mrs. Modded Logic's rig and she wants a Dell 24" too. Now she is still on AGP, so I was thinking of getting her a ATI 850XT. Do you think this will be powerfull enough for the 24" Dell? She ONLY plays EQ2 and SWG, nothing else. :shrug: She wants it to look good, and run smooth, but not neccessarely with all the eye candy maxed out.

Sorry, should of mentioned that in my first post.

3GHz Pressie, 2Gb value ram (will get the 2nd Gb RAM with the new videocard and she won't OC), 420w Raidmax PSU (came with her Scorpion case), and some Gigabyte mobo. Don't remember which one.

Right now she is running a 9800 PRO 256mb ram, 1GB Ram and running in 1280x1024 with no problems whatsoever. She is happy with whatever picture quality and smoothness she has now, she just doesn't want it to get less good/smooth because of the new monitor.

I'd be a little worried about the PSU, how are the rails on that? I'd possibly look into upgrading that also. Atleast something like a 530w fortron or a 500w bluestorm, they cost around $70.

I don't see any reason why the 850xt can't handle those games with that monitor.

It's a crap PSU for sure, but since it has been running everything just fine so far for over a year, rig on 24/7 and used 14-16 hours/day, without a hickup I thought it might be able to handle another gig of RAM and the 850XT.

Does an 850XT pull a lot more power than the 9800 PRO? If so, I might have to get her another PSU too.

i used 850pe with 2405 for about a week; switched back to 6800. 850 would sometimes reset the resolution from 1920x1200 to lower values; and at that high a resolution 850 would still strain to deliver stable fps anyways even though i hoped it would be more stable than 6800. it did bench higher than 6800 but jumps in fps didn't make for a very smooth gaming. get 6800ultra or GT; much less problems.

Back