• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 3GHZ Oc Bug?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

My Opteron Bug :( Suggestions?

ok ive found the sweet spot of my below mentioned opteron on the other thread..

1.45V+104% (133 Devider) x3*x8 @ 370HTT

anyways, nomatter what I do, Windows will reboot itself at anything past 3GHZ if clocked in windows via clockgen. Or if in bios, will freeze at the Black screen before the windows splash screen and make me hard reboot.

Any ideas if this is a windows bug? Install is a litle over a month ago if that. Previous chip was a A64 3000+ Venice

SO any ideas at all?

Anyways, SuperPI 1M and 32M with above mentioned settings is stable, Prime isnt but Sandra Burn in does not freeze even running continously..

WINDOWS, MEMTEST, Nothing will boot past 3GHZ clocked anywhere... It will not boot past bios AT ALL!

Last edited:
OT: Clockgen: What's the disadvantage of using this software?

I've always made changes in the BIOS.

Unfortunately, for both you and I, I know nothing of the bug you speak of. ;)

No bug. Windows does not have a problem with procs running over 3ghz. It would appear that either your proc has a problem with running over 3ghz, or you are maxing out the boards HTT capabilites in trying to break 3ghz.

juliendogg said:
No bug. Windows does not have a problem with procs running over 3ghz. It would appear that either your proc has a problem with running over 3ghz, or you are maxing out the boards HTT capabilites in trying to break 3ghz.

yep, this sounds more logical

well, I guess that yor processor is just stuck at these speeds. Can you try better cooling? Raise the voltage? otherwise, you are stuck like I am with my venice at 2.7
Sorry man

Try the extremes: Try a super high HTT with an insanely low multiplier (ex:4x400 or something). Set the LDT to 1 (if possible). Set the devider as low as it gets. Basically find out what it is that is limiting you if its the HTT, a 4x400 test should show this.

Just rule out certain items by setting them so low they need not be considered when instability arises.

We have the same mobo, and my cpu is just 1 model up from your's.
I can tell you there's no software bug. There must be some part of your setup that dosent like it. I can't get over 3.4ghz myself, im trying to figre it out. I couldnt break 3g for a while myself, then i did something with the multiplier/dividers.
Either the CPU, mem controller, memory, southbridge, or something else is being pushed too far...
Voltages, timings, dividers, multipliers and such need to be messed with.

Fr3@k3r said:
i dont know wtf is going on... its 85% stable at 2950MHZ but yet anything above 3GHZ it does a freaking leapfrog and crashs.... makes me sad really....

it booted into windows 1 time at 3ghz 1:1 and than POOF never again...

LOL. That sounds just like what occured with my old Athlon XP T-bred (Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ AIUCB) when it was impossible to get beyond 2.0 ghz stably and was able to reach the Windows desktop only once at 2.1 ghz. Never again.

Thus that means your processor probably is maxed out. Your only hope is to increase the Vcore. Sorry. :(

It's possible that a burn in would work out. I really dunno, because I never done that before! When I OC my processors, I had always just jump to the max and would keep on going futher until Windows crashes or Prime95 fails. I also had left the Vcore at stock until I notice stability problems.

Last edited:
Hey Freaker, nice OC. Hope my chip can do that, it is the same kinda afterall. Don't be too bummed out if you can't get over 3 ghz, 2950 is still a hell of an OC. I may try and OC mine sometime this weekend, maybe my results can help you in some way, i doubt it though. Your settings should help me though, thanks.

WOOOT!! 3GHZ Memtest Stable 1:1, Windows Stable, Prime95 and SuperPi Unstable... :)

Can a System be stable when Memtest Runs 40+ Pass's, and Sandra Can run back to back CPU and Memory tests?

300MHZSuperPiUnstable.jpg

Memtest will give little to no indication of your processor is pushed slightly beyond it's limit. Sandra can also complete successfully on an unstable proc. Try raising the vcore. If it's not superpi stable you're likely to have crashes when you start gaming.

J.

InfiniteThought said:
OT: Clockgen: What's the disadvantage of using this software?

I've always made changes in the BIOS.

Unfortunately, for both you and I, I know nothing of the bug you speak of. ;)

To try to bench at clocks that probably wouldnt make it into windows. Or to use it like I do, running prime95 while slowly upping the Vcore still it makes an error, then backing down till it dosent. Rather than rebooting a bazillion times and possibly having to reset cmos.

Back