• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Rails :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mud

i have a TT PurePower Butterfly 480w PSU thats about 1.5 years old, used to work fine and all voltages and rails were ok.

now after i got my new bits, specially the new 7800 gtx, and i overclock, my rails voltages go mad! so i try to reset to stock settings and still have these weird readings on speedfan and bios.. i cant get my hand on a voltmeter so cant get exact readings..

look @ my 5v rail :(

LordDarik said:
Wow, do you have the money for a new power supply?

tbh the problem isnt money.. its where to get the PSU from, most of the bits u see in my rig arent sold here in Jordan, i always make my friends from other coutries buy for me and i get them when they come over :(

iam in desperate need of new ram and psu but no vendor will ship to jordan :( and even if they did theyd charge alot of $$$$$$

i have to suffer to OC.. thats my fate :(

back to the PSU problem.. any suggestions?

Your PSU is now overloaded - it doesn't have the power on 12v to run a P4 and a 7800. It should be replaced. What do you have availible to buy over there? My usual suggestions for such a system are the Fortron AX500-A or FSP550-60PLG, OCZ PS520/Topower TOP-626P6, or Seasonic S12 500w+.

If you can find Antec or Enermax, look for a single 12v at around 30A or a dual 12v of 18A+18A.

Hmm, that is a problem. I'm guessing you don't have a local computer store. Where did you get one before?

Also, I just noticed you use IE. :bang head

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Your PSU is now overloaded - it doesn't have the power on 12v to run a P4 and a 7800. It should be replaced. What do you have availible to buy over there? My usual suggestions for such a system are the Fortron AX500-A or FSP550-60PLG, OCZ PS520/Topower TOP-626P6, or Seasonic S12 500w+.

If you can find Antec or Enermax, look for a single 12v at around 30A or a dual 12v of 18A+18A.

LordDarik said:
Hmm, that is a problem. I'm guessing you don't have a local computer store. Where did you get one before?

Also, I just noticed you use IE. :bang head

let me put it this way: where i live, no person, nor a computer store wud pay/get a PSU with a brand.

-Mud: have u got antec/fortron/enermax/ocz/etc.. PSU fellow vendor??

-Vendor: dude.. no brands for psu, we've got 10$ psu, want or not? look its 400watts psu shud fit ur needs perfectly!!

-Mud: :eh?:

this goes for everything else too, my friends consider me a maniac for buying 100$ psu, a 550$ vga card, and 100$ for a decent case with "some" airflow..

iam tired of this situation so ill keep going, i enter a pc store (supposed to be respected) and ppl come in and ask these questions:

- u got pentium5 yet?
- i need a nivadaa card plz with 256mb ram i heard it costs 30$
- i need a nice black "fast" keyboard plz
- asus? abit? dfi?? wots that?? naaaaaa me need genx, mercury, and best of all asruk..................... :shrug:

and the story keeps going.................

this is my country's situation regarding bits:

- cpu: intel 640 is the fastest cpu in country
- board: 925 intel by intel board is the best ive seen
- ram: the country is full with kingston and twinmos value rams which sell for xtreme ram prices.. most bits dont run dual mode well :rolleyes:
- graphic card: geforce 6600: fastest card in the world!! gt?? gtx?? xl? xt? wth is that?

this is only the first chapter of the story i can keep going for ages like this

HELP

EDIT - the other day i found a XFX7800 GT for sale, the price is 680JD, thats like 945$

brandless transparent case with no power supply ~ 120JD ~ 170$

holy.. those are extreme prices... i feel for you.. cant u make a trip to somewhere farther than Jordan. save up get all the money for the "vacation" fees, then go out and buy all the stuff you need and thats it.. thats what i would do...

SNieX said:
holy.. those are extreme prices... i feel for you.. cant u make a trip to somewhere farther than Jordan. save up get all the money for the "vacation" fees, then go out and buy all the stuff you need and thats it.. thats what i would do...
Good idea SNieX on a level, but do you think they would actually let him take all that metal onto an airplane or ship? That's a big no-no.

ok ok..

iam willing to pay for a shipped item this time, thnx to my brother's gold card, iam thinking of getting a OCZ PowerStream Power Supply 520w..

now i need help in finding a relatively cheap shipping online retailer who's willing to ship to Jordan - middle east..

i used to know a site now i 100% forgot damn! help me out plz

Mud said:
i have a TT PurePower Butterfly 480w PSU thats about 1.5 years old, used to work fine and all voltages and rails were ok.

now after i got my new bits, specially the new 7800 gtx, and i overclock, my rails voltages go mad! so i try to reset to stock settings and still have these weird readings on speedfan and bios.. i cant get my hand on a voltmeter so cant get exact readings..

look @ my 5v rail :(

Likely a loose ATX power connector, especially if the readings were fine before changing hardware around. I had that problem back in August, 2004 after upgrading from an Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ to an Athlon XP T-bred 2400+. But amazingly, it was still stable when running 3D Mark 2001 SE and didn't notice that until I checked the hardware again!! That caused Motherboard Monitor 5 to say that my 3.3V rail was only at 2.8V!!!

In fact, your 3.3V rail reading looked just like mine did. Mine was saying 2.8V then sometimes 3.18V.

I haven't ever used Speedfan, and it's possible you do have a PSU or connector problem, but here's another suggestion:

Have you tried looking on the Gigabyte site for any monitoring utilities that may be available for your board?

My experience several years ago with 3rd party monitoring utilities really sucked.

Now, since I've been using a lot of Asus mobos, I've found that AsusProbe is pretty accurate with the voltages, tho it (at least my versions) still read slightly low on the CPU temps. But, I believe this is mostly a function of where Asus chooses to place the CPU monitoring diode, rather than an error in reading the diode.

You might be surprised to see how many manufactures now include monitoring utilities w/their retail mobo boxed kits. These utilities (often upgraded versions) are usually available on thier website.

BTW - Man, after reading all the BS you need to go thru to enjoy this hobby of ours, I feel for ya'.

GL,

Strat

Back