Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs
Forum Jump

is a mobile processor ok for desktop use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 06:02 AM Thread Starter   #1
jlyttle
Registered

Question is a mobile processor ok for desktop use?

Is there anything at all that would prevent me from using this in any standard socket 754 MB? What is the difference between this mobile unit and the non-mobile? I want t0 use it in a desktop PC w/ standard parts, fan etc.

What don't I know, the price seems too good to be true.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103443

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80701-R

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two chips? I need to order one today, thanks!
jlyttle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-05, 09:58 AM   #2
Gnufsh

If it uses the same socket and pinout, it should be good. As far as amd is concerned, there actually isn't a lot of difference between a mobile and a non-mobile CPU. It used to be powernow support, but now desktop cps have that.

The only thing I'd be a little worried about is bios support, but it should work even if the bios doesn't recognise it (although I myself have never tried).

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-05, 12:15 PM   #3
Cheator

For the most part, modern amd mobiles now are just lower voltage versions. This means you generally get a cooler, les power hungry cpu. These are ideal for overclocking, sometimes.

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, Nvidia 8600m GT, 250gb hdd
Gears: Asus Eee PC 701, 1 GB DDR, Win XP

My Heatware!
"Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together." - Malpine Walis
Cheator is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-05, 02:17 PM Thread Starter   #4
jlyttle
Registered

The problem is that I just quoted a 754 system to one of my customers, but none of my regular wholesalers has the 3200+ 754 in stock, so I am forced to look to an online seller for this one. The mobile unit is $40 cheaper, but I am not %100 certain if it would work with the Mobo. I may just get the retail box. The cheaper one is OEM and I will also need to buy a fan, so the difference may only be like $25. I may not make as much on this one, but it won't come back to haunt me.
jlyttle is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs