• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Stability Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PopeOnDope

Registered
Hey guys, I'm really in need of some help...

I recently upgraded from a radeon 9800 pro to a 6800 GT. Everything seemed to be fine, but I started getting these random crashes and lock ups during games. Since my system was stable with the 9800, I pretty much isolated the problem, and guessed the 6800 GT was at fault. After looking around for a bit, I thought that the main cause of these freezes was probably my 340 watt psu, which was under a heavy load. Naturally, I bought a 500 watt psu and installed it. I thought everything was fine for a day or so but the problems continue to pursist. I can't finish a 3dmark05 session without a lockup. Games randomly freeze: ex during a CS:S match the screen sometimes turns multiple bands of rainbow colors and then freezes. I also thought it could be a driver problem-- reverted to 77.77 (from the latest) but no dice. I have the card overclock, but this doesn't seem to be t an issue since there is no artifacting. OC settings are 414 1100 (org 350 1000). Problem still persists in regular clock.

Hello

Did you do a new install (windows) or did you unistall the old drivers then install the new ones?
Ati to ati no problems but ati to nivida gives problems.

Fordman

I used driver cleaner pro. Right now, i disabled fast writes I'm going to see if that helps.

yes that is alot, Mine is about 40 or so. I'll double check when I get home. but 60 is high, if there is anything next to the card, make some room. Exchange the card if you can, if you cant, remove the HSF and change out the grease or sticker w/ some Artic silver

If anyone has a 6800 GT, can you report if the card crashes at above 60C

BTW i'm using a PNY 256mb 6800gt

Last edited:
Back