• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Dynamic Overclocking" can i make it a reality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Just thought about this.

Heres what im thinking:

Say i buy a sunbeam fan controller... or... actually, any fan controller. and hooked up all my fans to it. Casefans, and heatsink fan.

Then, find a program that would allow me to create profiles for overclocking. One profile for gaming which would up my clockspeed to the highest. other profile for websurfing chatting which would lower my clockspeed and etc.

During the profile changing i would change the fan controller to increase the volts on the fans, high medium low, etc.

Would this be possible?

yes definetly possible, easy? no. worthwhile, most likely not. Just get your max stable OC and be done because when you do small benign tasks with your CPU it's not under load really so it's not using much electricity at all. In order to implement something like that you'd need a card which outputs voltages (lots of stuff out there...most of it more expensive than your computer) and then running resistors and what not acutlay control voltages.

If you were designing a MB fromt he ground up it wouldn't be hard at all to set up something like that, but since they're already done by the time they get to you it's a lto more work to do.

I've heard good things about the T-Balancer XL... But I can't find it anywhere. From the looks of the site it's still in developement, but it isn't clear and there have been reviews of it out for a while...

Ah, I don't know how I missed that.

Oh wait, I do. I was linked directly to the product page so I haven't had the frameset with the navigation menu in it. Grrrr, why can't people design websites with usability in mind, not asthetics?

Most gigabyte boards have a dynamic overclocking utility built in. I've heard it sucks though. You're probably better off finding your max stable overclock like was already said above.

there's a utility for nforce based boards called "nTune" amoung other things it allows you to change your fsb from windows, however there is no dynamic control for voltages...

Back