• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do opterons and semprons overclock so well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

Why does a dual core opteron overclock so much better then a dual core x2. Also why does a sempron overclock so well.
Thanks

elec999 said:
Why does a dual core opteron overclock so much better then a dual core x2. Also why does a sempron overclock so well.
Thanks

the opty's are put through more rigorous testing because they are meant for servers and they are made of higher quality silicon than the x2's.

I believe the answer lies in the higher quality silicon.
I also heard that AMD puts them through more extensive testings, since they are designed for 24/7 running servers.

edit: oops, he beat me :eh?:

sempron overclocks so well because its just a neutered high end chip scaled down. Same reason any chips overclock, because its cheaper to neuter a high end chip than it is to design a new low end chip.

sempron overclocks so well because its just a neutered high end chip scaled down. Same reason any chips overclock, because its cheaper to neuter a high end chip than it is to design a new low end chip.

yeeeeep. thats tru. thats what i always thought was the reason of the o/cing ability of a sempron...

Back