• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

850 XT PE a worthy upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

Right now I have a Regular 6800 unlock to 16x6, overclocked to 400/800. It works well but with only 128 mbs DDR it doesn't too well with large textures like in Bf2.

Anyway, my cpu/motherboard/mem are still decent, so I don't want to jump ship to go to PCI-E. If I spend 500 on a new CPU/mem/board, it wouldn't be much if any faster than what I have now.

I was looking to with a 6800 ULTRA from ebay. But people are going crazy now that it's hard to find AGP Ultras, and paying close to 400 for em.

I did find a 850 XT PE for around 320 bucks NEW. If I want to stick with AGP for now, will be it be significantly better than my current card? I've seen benchmarks, where it's about the same performance as a 6800 ULTRA, sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on ap.

Keep in my with the way ebay is with 6800 cards, I could probably sell mine for 120-150. SO a 200 dollar "upgrade"

Is it worth it?

Thanks

yea. if you had PCI-e, i would have recommended a 7800GT, but since its not out 4 AGP, i dont think you can go wrong with 6800 Ultra, IMO. happy buying :)

Right, but ultras are just too expensive. SO I'm looking at the 850 XT PE instead. I plane to watercool it, so assuming it's decently overclocked it should preform very comparable to a 6800 ULTRA oc'd?

i guess. if you're going 2 use a watercooling loop with the cpu, it might be difficult to cool. I just keep my X800 cool by putting an 80mm fan in the empty expansion slots. Im not too good when it comes to wcing.

I'd say the X850XT PE is a very worthy upgrade - espcially if you can find one for cheap! Benchwise the X850 PE will do very very well compared to a 6800U

The X850XT PE AGP is as good as it will ever get for AGP. Anything better will require a PCIe graphics slot motherboard.

I've been looking around a bit more.

Ok I must admit, I'm a bit partial to Nvidia. And from the benchmarks they really seem neck and neck between the Ultra and 850 XT PE.

Today, I even began thinking about upgrading to pci-e to buy an 7800 GT, but in reality it's too expesnive for the minimal performance gain.

Between the Ultra and 850 XT PE, which would you guys get?

Thanks

Indyxc1 said:
I've been looking around a bit more.

Ok I must admit, I'm a bit partial to Nvidia. And from the benchmarks they really seem neck and neck between the Ultra and 850 XT PE.

Today, I even began thinking about upgrading to pci-e to buy an 7800 GT, but in reality it's too expesnive for the minimal performance gain.

Between the Ultra and 850 XT PE, which would you guys get?

Thanks

Check out reviews on the Ultra vs. 850XT-PE....there should be a butt load since they used to be THE top line cards for nVidia and ATi (at the same time...hence the comparison reviews)

My x850XT(not PE I know, but its somewhat comparible) performs fairly well, With 555/560 oc I get 13k in 3dm03, not bad at all. Although mine was quite expensive (400USD :-/ , but its dropped significantly since then).

As far as OC'ing goes, the more recent cards dont OC as well with everything stock(v,cooling) (at least thats what I've heard, if it's proven wrong dont give me crap :rolleyes: ) But since you have H20 it shouldn't be a real problem.

Bottom line: If you have the money, and want a slight performance increase then go for it.

Well, I just bought the VisionTek 850 XT PE from newegg, for 329. Found some reviews, and on average the 850 was faster than the Ultra.

Plus, considering I can sell the 6800 NU for around 140 bucks, for a 190 dollar upgrade, it isn't too much.

The problem with the 6800 is the 128 mb or ram. Too little these days. On games like Bf2 with large textures, it pauses to load textures all the time, while the frame rate itself is ok when not loading anything.

You did 13,000 with a stock clock'd 850? Not bad. I did 12,000 with the 6800 128 heavily overclocked. The 850 XT PE should last me til summer, when I got the PCI-E route.

Thanks

Back