• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over clocking a x600 in a laptop, crazy nice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3vil_l337

Registered
well its my father laptop. (which im using now :) ) and its rather high end, 3.4ghz intelwith 1m of cahc 1gig of ddr400 ram(dual channel) etc etc.... WELL it also has a x600 on a 16x pci-e thingy :). i DLed ati tool. stock timings were 400/250 so i had stitool run its max dealy. and well the current timngs are 415/325 !!!! and thats far from the limit. i jsut stoped there to play some hl2 loast coast. andwell stock timings on a high intenisty area (high setting) was getting a mere 15 fps, but amazingly there was no chopenes or lag etc. oced. well it was doing a solid 30 or better. and the thing still seems cool.no over heating i can tell,no artifacting atall. so i ask, is this normal? or am i jsut gettign lucky, any insight would be nice. i jsut figure maybe those of you with laptops. go for the gold and oc them suckers!
3vil

i wouldnt run that laptop for long periods of intensive usage. Laptops generate lots of heat even when you dont overclock them.

i was worried about that for awhile, but awhile ati tool was over clocking it, i would make sure the air coming out of the laptop wasnt to hot, and after rounds etc... and hey i played 2 hours of hard gaming on it with no problems. so im guess if heat wasa problem, i would have seen some sign in that 2 hours. but hey, with ati tool, i can just oc for when i want to play games, and then set it to default afterwards.
3vil

15 fps has got to be choppy, are you sure about that? Clock speeds won't increase power usage too much. I would run it. Is it under warranty?

Back