• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the new 7800 512mb worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

I just bought a eVGA 7800GTX for my new build in my sig, now they are coming out with a new one...... :bang head I bought it brand new off ebay so the step up program doesn't qualify(I think) So is it really necessary to have that card, I wanted the top of the line and now this :shrug: Should I sell this card and save up for the new one if I want the best?

In my opinion no. Ask yourself: Is it really worth an extra $300ish (PLUS your $400 for that 7800GTX) for a 7800GTX 512MB clocked at 550/1800?? Considering your current card is clocked at 470/1250. Don't get me wrong it is a sweet card, I am merely justifying my opinion in regards to price. If that card was set at $400, wouldn't you buy it?? Heck yeah I would. But at $800 or $649, um I'm gonna have a very ****ed off wife lol.

It's been found to be priced at $800. Here's the link: Link This is an earlier price, and I think it will be more likely around $599-649. The guy couldn't wait so he paid for his impatience of $800.

IMO, I don't think a few hundred dollars for such a small difference in clock speeds (and RAM) justifies a worth purchase of the 7800GTX 512MB. Remember I merely justifying price here. Besides your CPU will be the bottleneck and all games run fine with the your current card.

On the opposite side, if you have money to blow OR saved up, then it's of course affordable for them. Laterz,

Not in stone Vista has 7 versions being released, and this wont be out for minimum 1 year anyways.

a 7800GTX CANt pklay all games fine if you want all the eye candy and looks.

Using a 17" flat panel, your current card is plenty with everything maxed.
IF you had a much higher resolution LCD(1600X1200...), then your games would be much more gpu limited, not cpu limited.
With my current setup I cannot play FEAR with everything maxed and have enjoyable frame rates.
Remember, it's not your max or even your average frame rate, but it's your minimum fps that matter most.

eskimochaos said:
Exactly, I want to be able to turn on all of the eye candy on all games.

until when? the next UT when you will need an 8800Ultra? :) Just asking if it's worth it, but if the money isn't a problem then go for it (unless your girlfreind will kill you).

I will wait and see, that is the main reason I hate computers. You can spend 5000 dollars on a computer one day and the next it will be out of date.

The 7800GTX 512MB will probably only be used on it's full potential by some Dell 24" Widescreens, two of them. Most 1600x1200 can show the potential of the 7800GTX pretty well, but for the 7800GTX 512MB, you can probably run at something higher then 1600x1200.

So if you want to spend $700 on a video card, you'll need to spend that same amount on a monitor as well.

"I will wait and see, that is the main reason I hate computers. You can spend 5000 dollars on a computer one day and the next it will be out of date."

a 7800gtx is still not outdated because of this card(7800gtx 512mb)

Guys, you're all forgetting one thing. Right now, the 512 7800GTX's are being sold for ripoff price. Thety should come back down to 5-600 dollars very quickly. I wouldn't even consider giving a dime more than 600 dollars for that card, and it shouldn't cost over 500. 500 is a fair price. These companies are just price gouginf right now, becasue they know they can get those "gotta have people". in a month those people will wish they waited.

When the cards come down to fair price then they will be worth it.

If you have 1 7800GTX and you want to upgrade, I would have to think it would be foolish to purchase 1 7800GTX 512MB card. Buying a 2nd 7800GTX would seem to be the best alternative, it may be a better value for money to spend $800 on 2 7800GTXs (if you are upgrading from like a 9800xt or something) than $700 on 1 7800GTX 512MB, we wont really know for sure untill reviews of the 512MB flavour come out tomorrow. If you just want to have the best thing possible, then price really isn't an issue..so go for the 2 512MB cards.

Also I really doubt we will see the price of the 7800GTX 512MB card go down too much, for the first few months I doubt it will drop below $650.

onx said:
If you have 1 7800GTX and you want to upgrade, I would have to think it would be foolish to purchase 1 7800GTX 512MB card. Buying a 2nd 7800GTX would seem to be the best alternative, it may be a better value for money to spend $800 on 2 7800GTXs (if you are upgrading from like a 9800xt or something) than $700 on 1 7800GTX 512MB, we wont really know for sure untill reviews of the 512MB flavour come out tomorrow. If you just want to have the best thing possible, then price really isn't an issue..so go for the 2 512MB cards.

Also I really doubt we will see the price of the 7800GTX 512MB card go down too much, for the first few months I doubt it will drop below $650.

3DFlyer said:
Guys, you're all forgetting one thing. Right now, the 512 7800GTX's are being sold for ripoff price. Thety should come back down to 5-600 dollars very quickly. I wouldn't even consider giving a dime more than 600 dollars for that card, and it shouldn't cost over 500. 500 is a fair price. These companies are just price gouginf right now, becasue they know they can get those "gotta have people". in a month those people will wish they waited.

When the cards come down to fair price then they will be worth it.

Agreed. Finally, someone agreeing with my perspective on their outrageous rip off prices. Just be patient and the price will come down. Impatience always has a high price when it comes to new high end technology ("must have people"). AGAIN: If you have the money, then yeah go ahead and buy it.

it is only costing the price it is due to the lack of retailers currently stocking it. Soon, very soon, the prices will drop like 3DFlyer and barto are saying.

Back