• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

d820 vs. d830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcennis4

Registered
Is there much difference when overclocking? I'm don't have a watercooled system and if they are similar I could put the money toward RAM. Which leads to my second question...what is recommended? I am getting an Asus P5WD2. Which leads to my 3rd question...does the Premium board offer better performance or just addons?

I have an 820d and have set up an 830d prior to that. From what others have said there isn't much of a difference in o/c'ing between the two. The 830s might be a little better at o/c since they're binned higher but not really worth the extra money for what you get IMO. I've also heard that the premium board is better for o/c'ing.

And as far as RAM, the Mushkin xp2-6400 has been good for me. I've also heard that xms-5400UL Corsair's are good with this board.

Thanks for the reply. I am also getting an ATI x700. Is there any problems with overclocking and this card (I had a non ATI 9600 pro that caused problems years ago).

You should go with a x800gto version that flashable to 16 pipes, much better buy ;)

As far as the 820 or 830 goes, I have heard of about the same overclocks, not much different. All the people i know have 820s, since they were cheaper and they were poor ********.

Unless you are going to watercool then you are probably better off getting a 6** series chip. The best thing to do right now is either wait or get something cheap like this. Presler is so close and Intels current dual core is junk in comparison. Save your money and get a real cpu in a month or two.

Oh and regarding 820 vs 830. I've had several of both. They all clocked about the same for me. I ended up keeping the 820 because I didn't have to fight the mb to lock the multiplier. My 820 at 4.1 scored better benchmarks then my 830 at 4.2(with locked multi).

Leica said:
Months? I thought they are hitting the streets late Dec/early Jan. WTF??? :drool:
Let's hope but I've learned to "under promise and over deliver" if you know what I mean.

Back