• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Next? PC Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Procharger

I currently am running the below list of parts and I have roughly $300-$325 more I can/want to spend on the PC. What should I buy next to improve it's performance with my limited amount of funds?

AsRock Dual SATA 939
Venice 3200+ w/Stock HSF
ATI 9700 nonpro
2X256mb of TWINMOS PC3200 DDR400 (The older stuff that was very good for overclocking not the new stuff)
60GB 7200rpm Western Digital HD

Right now I'm leaning towards the connect3D x800 GTO from newegg.com for $178 shipped which I'm content with trying, fail or succeed, to unlock to 16 pipes and overclock. If that's the best route then what should I do with the extra $122-$147?

As good as that ram may be 512mb is hardly enough in this day and age. I think 2x512 of ram might be in order. Ram is supposed to continue to get cheaper ao you may want to wait. Another thought would be a decent heatsink and fan. Also, I didn't see your PSU listed.

Nothing worth upgrading(except for a faster HDD) is going to be appreciated with out more RAM. I agree, 2x512. I'm surprised you're on a 939 platform with only a half gig.

Cheap RAM is cheaaaaaaaap these days, almost HDD prices. ;) If you need better overclocking stuff ante up for it but your RAM would be such a huge bottleneck with a good video card.

rseven said:
As good as that ram may be 512mb is hardly enough in this day and age. I think 2x512 of ram might be in order. Ram is supposed to continue to get cheaper ao you may want to wait. Another thought would be a decent heatsink and fan. Also, I didn't see your PSU listed.

Oh yeah it's a Sparkle 400watt. I truly would like to see if I can find it's limit because up till now I haven't found it but as you guys see I'm still on 512mb of memory. I just recently bought the new motherboard and processor which I upgraded from an epox 8rda+ with a 2100xp that was overclocked to 2.2ghz.

Do you think my choice of video card is ok? If so then what memory would be a good choice or are you guys saying I should keep my video card and just upgrade my memory?

Thanks,
Jason

Procharger said:
Oh yeah it's a Sparkle 400watt. I truly would like to see if I can find it's limit because up till now I haven't found it but as you guys see I'm still on 512mb of memory. I just recently bought the new motherboard and processor which I upgraded from an epox 8rda+ with a 2100xp that was overclocked to 2.2ghz.

Do you think my choice of video card is ok? If so then what memory would be a good choice or are you guys saying I should keep my video card and just upgrade my memory?

Thanks,
Jason

Get an x800GTO2, which is totally worth it...if you have enough. Then don't get 2x512mb get a 1GB stick, it is better that way.

Kevin007 said:
Get an x800GTO2, which is totally worth it...if you have enough. Then don't get 2x512mb get a 1GB stick, it is better that way.

From what I've been reading this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142052 x800GTO is a guaranteed 16 pipe unlock.

What 1GB stick is a good choice right now? Also should I use this 1GB memory with my 2 old memory sticks?

rseven said:
Those are very nice picks. Of course, it's over your budget, but we specialize in that here at the OCF! :cool:

Yeah I think that's why I fit right in here :) which is nice and all but I really need to be saving for :santa: christmas presents :shrug:

Do you guys think I should spend a little more on the graphics card and a little cheaper on the memory (maybe buy one 1GB piece for now?)? In a way as I posted elsewhere I can't think of another video card I want more because this one unlocks so easily (guaranteed from all accounts I've read though someone mentioned 90% but I've yet to read about a failure :shrug: )
to perform with or better than a x850 xt PE from what I read in one article

Kevin007 said:
Ok so the x800GTO (***edited for a typo here*** was x800GTO2 but meant x800GTO****) is not a guaranteed unlock so where can I find a GTO2 for a reasonable price?

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet by deciding to go way over budget by getting the G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) ) PC3200 kit and I really bit the bullet by going with the Sapphire X850GTO2 so I can have a sure unlock!

Thanks all for the input I do really appreciate it!

Jason

lmao i love this place. I believe every post i have seen where people are asking what to upgrade and give us a budget, we ALWAYS manage to go over it.

BTW Procharger, you made some good choices there. Your gonna be VERY happy with those upgrades.

stang8118 said:
lmao i love this place. I believe every post i have seen where people are asking what to upgrade and give us a budget, we ALWAYS manage to go over it.

BTW Procharger, you made some good choices there. Your gonna be VERY happy with those upgrades.
Well I almost doubled it had I went with the X850 XT PE I came so very close to buying but that just helped give in a bit more than intended :santa:

I'm glad to read you say these are good choices because I've been playing BF2 and I'm now becoming very anxious to get these upgrades because I really want to see this game in all of its glory!!

Back