• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evapourative Cooler *in a fridge*!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

Just got this idea in the "Colder Water" post...why not build an actual 'bong' type evapourative cooler, into mini fridge!! Check out the pic below, the fans are on the 'top' side of the fridge, and it lies on it's back, where the water sits. Build piping into the door so the water is dribbling down from there, which also gives some major surface area exposure! Would this actually work in a refridgerator, or am I kidding myself?

Well I dont quite get the idea of the pic you have there. But I think I understand what your meaning. Basiclly a bong style with the water inside the fridge right?

Well presuming I am, it would work to a degree. It would drop the temps at least by a few points. But I think most would say that due to the inadeqacies of a fridge not being able to handle a very large amount of heat would let it do very well. Personally Im still working on the idea of why that is supposed to be such a problem.

Why not just use the fridge like a reservior and have the freezer element submerged in the water... that way it's directly cooling the water. Anyone know if the cpu could put out more heat than the phase-change freezer could absorb directly? I doubt it, but I have no evidence.

why not use the compressor to cool the cpu though instead of leaving it in the fridge/freezer? which would give better results then putting bits of watercooling in a freezer

Don't know... sounds like that would take a lot of time and modding. Know of any good articles dealing with the subject. I'd like to see the results.

Back