• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x1800 AGP version? Or just a typo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think it's a typo, look at it from ATI stand point, why limit your sales only to people who have PCI-E boards if you could release the card in AGP and sell to more people. I'm pretty sure AGP 8x bandwith is not maxed out with last gen cards sooo there's still some headroom.... Now PCI-E is much faster then AGP8x but it's bandwith is no where near maxed out even with the latest cards.

Last edited:
rseven said:
My guess is it's a typo. AGP is dead, and ATI will be too if they don't get their rear ends in gear and fast.

ATI is currently king of the hill with their X1800XT. I think they've been in gear, and now are moving into higher gear with the X1800.

RangerXLT8 said:
ATI is currently king of the hill with their X1800XT. I think they've been in gear, and now are moving into higher gear with the X1800.

The 512MB GTX allowed NVIDIA to re-claim the performance crown and with big margins. I agree that the x1800 lineup has promise, but ATI will have to do more than program a ring bus to catch up to the very powerful 512MB GTX.

deception``

I think it's a good move to release this in AGP. There is still too many people out there who dont have PCI-E systems.

dethzero said:
I think it's a good move to release this in AGP. There is still too many people out there who dont have PCI-E systems.

why not take part of that money to buy an pci-e board and buy an x800XT or something...It just doens't make sense, if you have enough to get the lasted generation cards and you can't upgrade.

Last edited:
Kevin007 said:
why not take part of that money to buy an pci-e board and buy an x800XT or something...It just doens't make sense, if you have enough to get the lasted generation cards and you can't upgrade.

That would depend on a situation. Not everyone wants to shell out 1,600 bucks on new system upgrade parts. Some would rather just spend close to 600-700 bucks total and upgrade little by little =]

dethzero said:
That would depend on a situation. Not everyone wants to shell out 1,600 bucks on new system upgrade parts. Some would rather just spend close to 600-700 bucks total and upgrade little by little =]

Have to agree with that but I decided for the full blown new system :)

This has been posted at least in this thread.. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=424070

For some reason, as I said in the other, I though only the X1300 and the X1600 would be the only cross bread of AGP/PCI-E. But now this has come up I'm not sure what to expect anymore.

Okay, I stand corrected. Now, in order to sell something you have to have a product to sell. I wish ATI the best as competition is good, but like I said they need to put it in gear.

RangerXLT8 said:

You have got to be kidding. As everyone knows I bleed ATI red when cut but ATI has had there head handed to them in a basket several times this year by the mean green dark side of the force. If NV were to put the 7800 512Mb into full production so the price would drop to x1800XT levels no one in there right mind would buy an 1800XT. They would move off of the vendors shelves like boat anchors stuck in the concrete.

If ATI's constant strings of fumbles in 2005 were put into a video in would be #1 in the Neilsons for TV Practical Jokes and Bloopers. Lets hope ATI gets their act together in 2006 with the R580 cards in the first quarter. That includes actually being able to buy the card when it is released and not be vaporware 3-6 months afterward.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
You have got to be kidding. As everyone knows I bleed ATI red when cut but ATI has had there head handed to them in a basket several times this year by the mean green dark side of the force. If NV were to put the 7800 512Mb into full production so the price would drop to x1800XT levels no one in there right mind would buy an 1800XT. They would move off of the vendors shelves like boat anchors stuck in the concrete.

If ATI's constant strings of fumbles in 2005 were put into a video in would be #1 in the Neilsons for TV Practical Jokes and Bloopers. Lets hope ATI gets their act together in 2006 with the R580 cards in the first quarter. That includes actually being able to buy the card when it is released and not be vaporware 3-6 months afterward.

Viper

Well Said Viper. I think some of us have to see past our own fanboyism and take note of the issues that have piled up this year.

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt that we'll see any AGP x1800 or 7800 cards. Simply put, the market of people willing to buy these cards is very small. The thought process goes like this - companies (as well as myself) believe that people willing to shell out $400 ~ 500 for video cards should have no problem upgrading from...say...AGP to PCI-E. What people must understand is that these high-end cards are marketed toward a specific segment of enthusiast market - the one that will upgrade their entire system (including motherboards) with the drop of a dime.

deception``

Back