• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G5 Storm cleaning problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

Hey, I'm trying to set up my rig, but my G5 is giving me serious problems. I tested it and with my MCP600, the flowrate was about 1GPH (yes hour). It was insanely slow. I tried sucking on the hose and I could barely move an inch of water through the G5. I took it apart and the jets are all clogged up with what looks like maybe calcium, lime, or a combination of the two and other things. It's been soaking in vinegar for about 30 minutes and I've been trying to use a toothbrush to scrape all the junk out, but I can't seem to open up the jets. I don't know what to do. I want to drill the jets and make them bigger, but that would defeat the whole purpose of Cather's design. Any suggestions on how to clean the jets? (It's too late to go to the hardware store, so I can't buy any CLR or anything like that).

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
get some saftey pins, open them up and poke the stuff out.
Yeah, I tried a safety pin, it sort of works, but not that well. Should I just let it soak? Will the vinegar eventually loosen things up and make it easier to scrape away?

Steam, that's a good idea. No steam cleaner though... :( Could I boil it? Would that melt or damage the acetal? I pm'd Cathar, but I think he's too busy, so I don't want to bug him again.

tried a needle to take out the gunk in mine. . . on the copper block . .. you may want to try using a nylon brush. the kind the use in cleaning a barbecue grill i guess.. be careful though not to brush to hard. . .i dunno how durable the thing (copper) is so i was afraid one of the holes would break/cut or something..

Ok no dice. Someone suggested that I grind down an old fork to make the ideal cleaning tool, haha! It's been soaking in vinegar for about an hour now. I guess it's marginally better, but still not useable.

Does anyone know what CLR is made out of? Will vinegar do the same trick? I'm pretty convinced this is calcium or lime.

If it's calcium, set up a small loop and pump straight white vinegar through it for a while. An hour or so won't hurt anything. If you have a filter, make sure that's in place before the block when doing the cleaning operation so stuff doesn't get back in again.

Cathar said:
If it's calcium, set up a small loop and pump straight white vinegar through it for a while. An hour or so won't hurt anything. If you have a filter, make sure that's in place before the block when doing the cleaning operation so stuff doesn't get back in again.

I don't know if it would harm acetal, since I've mostly only used it to clean copper. Whenever any of my copper blocks get clogged up I always use muratic acid. Works like a charm. Like I said, I have NO IDEA what it would do to acetal. maybe someone else with experience could chime in.

GV2NIX said:
Ok no dice. Someone suggested that I grind down an old fork to make the ideal cleaning tool, haha!

that was me! haha, it seemed like it would poke out whatever crap was in there, cause you didnt have needles to work with. Cathars idea is probably best. forcing vinegar is a good idea, it will push out and clean out the crap in the block.

Oh yeah, I forgot you posted here already, haha, sorry! :) I guess I'll try a multi-pronged approach, but I'm setting up for operation: "Little River of Vinegar" at the moment.

GV2NIX said:
I don't have a filter, do you think that'll defeat the purpose?

If it's calcium/crud, probably not. The vinegar will just dissolve it.

Have soaked acetal/delrin in pure white vinegar for an hour before. Came out smelling vinegary, but other than that, totally unharmed.

i cant say ive ever faced "build-up" but...

i used the wire from a twist-tie to "clean-up" the mid-block of my G5...those holes are really *SMALL*, and need to stay small, so dont use too big of a pin.

GOOD LUCK!!

I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me, but I think flowrates are better. I mean, at least I'm getting a stream the full diameter of the inner diameter of the tubing. Before it was just dribbling out.

Ok, um, my pump just got louder. It's not making grinding noises or anything, but whatever noise it usually makes just got slightly louder and the flow rate dropped slightly. Is my pump dying?

Edit: I figured that since the ceramic parts are lubricated by water, that the vinegar was causing increased amounts of friction. The pump was getting hotter too, so I guess that would make sense. I just took it apart and the jets are still blocked up (although better than before). I guess I'll soak the mid-block longer and try to pick the crap out with a pin again. Man, if you guys ever run a G5 in your loop, make sure your mixture is clean clean clean! It's so not worth it to have to do this everytime you change the water, haha!

Last edited:
Back