• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick for work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
Hi all,

My boss gave me a intresting job today

we currently use ibm netvistas with integrated video cards
we have big 17 or so inch lcd's that we use a 3rd party software app called pivot pro to swivil to portrate mode ( long and skinny)

and the be honest pivot pro sucks it always blows up and takes the video driver with it and were paying for the liceneces yada yada yada

so when i mentioned that i have 2 nivida cards in various computers in my house and that the driver had a rotation app built into the driver he was very intrested

so the question is

what video card would you recomend for for a no 3d app enviroment
probably something that supports higher resolutions but doesnt need alot of 3d omf

it would have to take the nvidia driver that supports the rotation

and be AGP

vga out is needed but a vga and dvi dual output is fine.

Bouns points if its low profile ( we dont have low profile macines yet but the next gen of netvistas is)

The nvidia quadro line is designed for the best performance in 2d applications. I wouldn't go with the geforce line, as that's really only better for 3d gaming.

I have a Geforce MX400 with 64MB of ram that I use as my "emergency use" card and it was able to run 1920 x 1600 @ 60Hz. You can buy one for under $50.

Some cheaper Quadros or FireGLs are great for workstations, their different from the Geforce line. The main difference is that the Geforce line was made for gaming, so it doesn't focus on the details too much, since you'd walk pass something without noticing details anyways. While the Quadro line is great with OpenGL and stuff, so it's more focused on details.

is the nvidia quadro covered by the same set of drivers?

Back