• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s939 AGP and PCI-E 16x????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SB911

Is there such a thing? If so, whats the model? i'm having troubles finding one, of course i'm not sure if they exist.

That's not a very flattering review. The guys in this forum seem to really like it. Also, it's available in Canada. Oh, and did I say it was quite a bargain?

Wonderful thanks guys!
I do not own a 64 setup yet, trying to make the switch without replacing every single part.

You might want to take a look at this ASUS Board. Anandtech have posted a favourable review. Check it out here:-
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589

A few points to make a note of with ASUS boards.
1.They are a bit expensive
2.Initial BIOS versions are crap. Lots of BIOS issues. However, as the product matures, so do the BIOS'es. You just have to wait a bit.
3.Excellent stability.
4.Overclocking features i.e user control in the BIOS is limited. You could however, use A64 Tweaker to obtain additional settings.

Anandtech said:
The Asus A8N32-SLI is also a monster overclocker, reaching the highest overclock ever with our stock CPU and to 310FSB with a reduced multiplier. If you compare this performance to our other reviews of recent Asus Socket 939 boards, you may wonder if they were produced by the same company. Asus has become serious about Athlon 64, and it shows in the design, execution and performance of the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

Nice board thats for sure, too bad it doesn't have AGP.

I have 2 ASUS board's right now, and I will certainly continue to use them.
A7N8X-E Deluxe
PC-DL
(Also ASUS L5800GA laptop with 3.0E, 9600 pro)

That's a great ASUS board for those who want pure stability and a bit of OCing. But then he's looking for a AGP/PCIE board, which would be the ULi chipset, currently on that ASRock board. I heard Abit is eventually going to release a ULi chipset one too, duno when though.

I missed the AGP part, read it as 2 x PCIE 16x :santa:
ULi is still new to the market. Although they seem to be competitive, its too early to tell. I would always wait the solution to go mainstream on a larger scale. There is safety in numbers:)

The only reason I say this is from experience. Although the chipset may be the same, the implimentation by different vendors varies. That is the deciding factor. So, bide your time and kep your eyes peeled.

Also, make sure to let us know if you find something interesting :D

Super Nade said:
I missed the AGP part, read it as 2 x PCIE 16x :santa:
ULi is still new to the market. Although they seem to be competitive, its too early to tell. I would always wait the solution to go mainstream on a larger scale. There is safety in numbers:)

The only reason I say this is from experience. Although the chipset may be the same, the implimentation by different vendors varies. That is the deciding factor. So, bide your time and kep your eyes peeled.

Also, make sure to let us know if you find something interesting :D

Right on, sounds good. So there should be various ULi based boards coming out sometime. That would be alright, i'm not in any hurry to upgrade right now, so it sounds as though i'll just sit on it for a bit and see what shows up!

Thanks for all the info and sugestions!

Hypothetical question........
Current gaming and general internet/email/stuff rig...
ASUS a7n8x-e Deluxe
2800+ (2ghz @ 2.2ghz)
2 x 512 pc3200
MSI 6600 (300/500 @ 420/620)

Say if I took this new board and plugged in a A64 3000+ or 3200+, and using all my existing parts (ram/video/hdd) would my gaming performance increase much? Just out of curiousity. In reality I will probably end up with a X2. I'm not a huge gamer and I will never own a dual video card setup, but I want to be ready for a PCI-E video card in about 6 months.

Back