• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10mb Cable BB now available in uk :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thingi

Wow, just got my BB upgraded to 10mb today. My god it's fast. It would seem that I'm now hitting the available bandwidth for some download sites rarther than my connection being the bottleneck. Downloads are miles better compared my my 2mb connection.

Streaming media is now bloomin' perfect - can now play streamed H.264 720p (apple quicktime) content realtime now on my Apple woot!! woot!!!!

The download speed is great but good old NTL have capped the upload at around 55kb (that's kilobytes not bits) per second, still at least I can run torrents full throttle and still d/l from sites at amazing speed instead of having a crippled connection whenever my torrent client was running ;)

The price you may be asking.... Well according to XE £20.00 = $34.70. Is that reasonable for you US peeps? To be fair it should be £25 quid but I get a discount for owning my cable modem :) :)

thingi

i have the 2mb connection, cable and tv mate and i thought ntl only did 8mb called bulldogbroadband!?! where you get your deal im paying £25 for 2mb lol and that with NTL!?!

EDIT: ok just been to bulldogbroadbad which i thought was part of NTL... why do i need a bt number?! am i worng?

Last edited:
Erm Bulldog is ADSL not cable mate so nothing to do with NTL/Telewest.

The reason you need to have a BT line to use Bulldog is that the exchange needs to be broadband enabled, no NTL exchange is (they don't need to because they provide cable access).

At the mo' your paying £25 quid for 2mb, All NTL speeds = 1mb, 2mb and 3mb are going to 10mb with different download usage caps over the next year.

You will always pay £25 for a middle tier connection because you don't own your own modem, I only have this deal that I pay £5 less because I was one of the first 1000 customer's when cable modem access started in the UK.

I had no choice but to buy my 3com CMX modem for £170 quid nearly seven years ago!!!! Now my modem is totally paid for, at 60 quid per year discount that means I'm well into 'profit' on it too :cool:

thingi

Thingi said:
The price you may be asking.... Well according to XE £20.00 = $34.70. Is that reasonable for you US peeps? To be fair it should be £25 quid but I get a discount for owning my cable modem :) :)

thingi

Wish I could get near that price here in the US :( Mines a 3MB line and costs me $45 a month.

cool i canna wait as for the price im paying im actually paying 15quid for my 2mb broadband as i have the tv and phone with them canna wait till it gets bumped up! D

http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservices/tiermigration/

Go there and try to upgrade to 3mb, if it's available in your area then it will give an error stating that only 10mb is available.

Then call cust. services and get them to upgrade your speed to 10mb but give a discount from the top tarrif to tarriff you were on.

This means free upgrade to 10mb now rather than wait till ntl fully roll out the price/speed changes next year.

thingi

yea i'll have to wait :( im using my stb and there are no upgrades avalable yet grr... anyway next year is better for me ;)

yea there's still a cap from what ive heard but it's BIGGER! not 30gig (which i have) but 75gig! mmm....

75GB thats small for a 10MB connection. I only have the 1mb and even though im suppposed to have a cap I bitched a lot to NTL when they introduced it so I do not have the cap and regularlly exceed 1GB of data a day download. Upload is another story however!

Back