• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install without SP1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey guys I recently reformated a clients computer and reinstalled windows XP with my cd which does NOT have SP1 on it. Now he noticed that his C: drive is only showing up as 123gig not 200gig, and he has a recovery partition from gateway which is around 4.5gig.

Now is this because I installed XP on the 200gig without SP1? I did install SP1 and I am just wondering if running partition Magic would work by adding the empty space to C:?

Thanks

AFAIK that will not work. Windows can only recognize the larger hdd with the upgrades in the service pack, though if the drive is partitioned there (instead of not being read correctly by windows) then you could do that after installing the service pack, and it should work.

You may as well just install sp2. You can actually order a cd in the mail from MS (for free) I did, it works great for customers.

Yes, but I thought reading on the internet that after you install SP1 which does include support for drives 137gig and up, that you can just add the space to the partition.

Basicall What I am wondering is if when I installed windows the reason I am not seeing the ~150gig is because the install CD was not SP1 or greater, and when I created the partition windows only saw ~137gig?

!

JCLW said:

Thanks!

But I think what happened here is that since my install disk is NOT SP1 when windows saw the empty space it only saw around ~137gb. So When I partitioned C: it only used around ~123gb. So now there is unpartitoned space on the hard drive.

I can not readily get over to his house to see what is actually going on, so I am asking so I can prepare so I can fix it without making multiple trips.

redwraith94 said:
You may as well just install sp2. You can actually order a cd in the mail from MS (for free) I did, it works great for customers.
Ill probably end up doing that, thanks for the tip.

Back