• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel and AMD Comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recursion

I was talking to Yuriman and he was telling me that there is like a system to gauge how many MHZ on an AMd system compared to an Intel systems. Such as for every 320MHZ on an Intel systemjs, you would have 200MHZ on an AMD. Could somebody clear this up for me if possible.

When the Northwoods were prevelant I figured Intel*70%=AMD64. This gave a good rough estimate. So if you had a Northwood at 3.6Ghz that would roughly equate to 2.52 for AMD equivalent. Not scientific at all and of course each processor will perform better than the other at certain things.

Now with the Prescott, the Mhz have been devalued a bit more from the Northwood. I have not really thought much about this yet as I have only recently got my first Prescott. Just looking at things so far I would say the number would be more like 65% now for a rough idea. Again, no scientific basis.

This is just the way that I get a rough idea and it is still not apples to apples so don't flame if it is not liked. :)

Hmmm, on the one hand, the longer pipe of the Prescott hurts, but is partially offset by the larger cache. I wouldn't be surprised if the two effects balanced. -- Paul

There are programs that will give you a P-rating for your overclocked AMD CPU, but again it doesn't really mean a whole lot as it's hardly more than a guess.

macklin01 said:
Hmmm, on the one hand, the longer pipe of the Prescott hurts, but is partially offset by the larger cache. I wouldn't be surprised if the two effects balanced. -- Paul

Very well could be, I haven't spent enough time with Prescott to know for sure but would believe that to be rather optomistic. Right now I am running a P4 640 at 4.2Ghz and using the math would mean it is equivalent to an Athlon64 at 70% is 2.94 and 65% is 2.73. I was recently using an X2 @ 2.7Ghz and could believe a number higher than 65% but not 70%.

rseven said:
There are programs that will give you a P-rating for your overclocked AMD CPU, but again it doesn't really mean a whole lot as it's hardly more than a guess.

I have seen different programs assign PR numbers but who knows how they determine the figures.

Back