• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket M2 to suport quad-core cpu ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because in 2006, DDR3 will not be mature and cheap enough for the mainstream, in 2007, it will be.

That's the first indication of where AMD is headed beyond 2006. Obviously there are a number of technological roadblocks to be worked out, but it sounds like a plan to me. To fully utilize quad cores I might need to grow quad heads!:)

I'll be looking forward to quads. Only problem though its going to be opteron quads, and probley high end server series 800 chipsets type ones. So thats going to be a few grand for a cpu at first. If they make it down into the 100/200 markets then where talking :)

I'm looking forward to quad cores and sM2 SMP motherboards... mainly to render 3D models at blisterfast speeds, but the way things are going, it looks like the other three cores will be unused with virtually all other applications. Programmers aren't looking forward to programming support for 4+ cores, let alone two. A push really needs to be made to either force support at an OS or hardware level, or provide materials so dynamic multicore support can be easily added to future software projects. Unless something is done, it will be a long time before multicore CPUs are going to be useful to most consumers, and there is be no reason for AMD or Intel to charge any less than the four digits and up for exclusive high-end server chips. I'd love to utilize a quad core CPU, but it simply is not going to happen any time soon unless widespread changes are made for multicore processor support...

Back