• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a program that will find a certain permission in the registry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

Hi all,
I have a Pc that is having a problem installing SP2. Everytime It installs It errors out with a "permission denied" error. Every time it comes up with a different registry key. Is there a program that I could run that would search the registry for all keys that are missing the write permission for administrator? So far the two keys that I've found have no permissions as all.

Everytime i keep running it it keeps coming up with a new key that has no permissions assigned to it. The company cannot find the original install CD's so at this point I'm not sure whatto do. Might trythe programming forums. maybe someone can whip up a program.

Dont know exactly what your sit is but are your sure that your SP2/media is not corrupt?

I've used the autodownload version, The full download version and the SP2 disk that I keep in my bag.

When i first got thePC to fix it was pretty corrupted with spyware and viri (virii? ). I canusually recover from an infection this bad but not this time.

Plus everytime it errors out there is a new registry key (looking at the install log file) that it errors out on. when i look at the key it has no permissions.

You could try running Sfc.exe with your old disk first. It may be some other corrupted file of windows. Other than that you could try the regedt32.exe. Select one of the five main branches, then when you open the security tab, and select permissions, highlight the user that you normally would, and click on advanced. There is a checkbox for "reset permissions on all child objects, and enable the propagation of inheritable permissions" do that for all five keys. I think that should work.

redwraith94 said:
Other than that you could try the regedt32.exe. Select one of the five main branches, then when you open the security tab, and select permissions, highlight the user that you normally would, and click on advanced. There is a checkbox for "reset permissions on all child objects, and enable the propagation of inheritable permissions" do that for all five keys. I think that should work.

Hmmm I did not think of that. Good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Back