• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire limitations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I remember reading a early review of crossfire, which said that two cards in crossfire mode were limited to a max of 1600x1200 @ 60hz. Is that still holding true, or has ATI worked out some kinks in their idea?

That max resolution isn't horrible (more would be better,) but I hate running anything at 60hz, it kills my eyes.

I read an article on anandtech that this is true only for the x8xx series. With the latest x1k series it has been fixed.

AFAIK they were going to use two 'dongles' or whatever they called it to connect so it wouldn't have that limitation. I'm pretty sure it was the cord/connection between the cards and not the cards themselves that made it 1600x1200 @60hz. I should double check things, hope I'm correct tho, lol. If not, please do correct me.

Burdman27911 said:
AFAIK they were going to use two 'dongles' or whatever they called it to connect so it wouldn't have that limitation. I'm pretty sure it was the cord/connection between the cards and not the cards themselves that made it 1600x1200 @60hz. I should double check things, hope I'm correct tho, lol. If not, please do correct me.

they are using a "spilt" cable to allow x8X0 series cards to go crossfire and they are limited to 1600x1200 @60hz only for the x8X0 series cards. the x1k series works fine at 1600x1200 @+60hz - it has nothing to do with the cable.

Yes.. and... no..
The limitation is still there for the x800/x850s... but it's not the 1600x1200 @60hz that was stated..

The limitation is due to the little chip that connects teh two cards... so the limitation is Only one ONE card.. meaning that with both cards you can have 1600x1200@120hz or: 1920x1200 @100hz..

I honestly don't see why such a deal was made about this... since those frequencies are more than enough...

That's what I understood from reading many articles about this..

I'm not sure what happened with the x18xx series..

Thanks for clearing that up, I was just saying what I vaugely recalled from prerelease of Crossfire. 1900x1200@100hz is not bad at all, that's the max I'd every really need (atleast for a while), so I'm happy now. Thanks again.

OkydOky said:
Yes.. and... no..
The limitation is still there for the x800/x850s... but it's not the 1600x1200 @60hz that was stated..

The limitation is due to the little chip that connects teh two cards... so the limitation is Only one ONE card.. meaning that with both cards you can have 1600x1200@120hz or: 1920x1200 @100hz..

I honestly don't see why such a deal was made about this... since those frequencies are more than enough...

That's what I understood from reading many articles about this..

I'm not sure what happened with the x18xx series..

Absolute ********!

x800/x850 Crossfire is limited to 1600x1200@60Hz. Read about it, and again.

x1x00 cards do not have the same limitation apparently.

Back