• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will it take to power this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Obviously my power supplies aint doing the trick 520 watt aspire fried. 420 watt thermal take fried

setup is as follows.

amd 3200 overclocked to 2400mhz

msi k8 neo platinum

1 dvd drive

1 80gb hd

ati 850 xt pe

4 small 80mm led fans

I hope it works though. I still think my setup will fry it.

Can there be any other reason for it to turn on. then when i shut it down and turn it on again a little later the psu is dead but all my other stuff is fine?

Just boggles my mind.

Only thing I can think to suggest is to look for shorts carefully.

Last edited:
You definiteloy did not make a istake buying that. That is one of the best PSU's out there. I own the OCZ520ADJ (not the SLi), and it's the same unit. You got the better one though becasue it has full support for SLi without the adapter. Mine has a green fan, and yous will have a blue fan.

You will love that PSU! It is perfect for OC'ing, and it will power even the most power hungry systems. IMO, that PSU is the best. When you take into account the quality, and all the features you get with that unit for the price, it cannot be beat.

It is also a geaorgeous unit. The finish on it is a Titanium Chrome looking finish. Be sure to keep your window clean. This one is a looker. You'll be proud to show that PSU off.

The rails will be solid as a rock. If you measure them with a DMM under load, you're gonna be shocked to find that they hold their voltage no matter what you load the system with.

A mistake? NO! Just the opposite. You made one of the best moves ytou could make my freind. :)

3DFlyer said:
You definiteloy did not make a istake buying that. That is one of the best PSU's out there. I own the OCZ520ADJ (not the SLi), and it's the same unit. You got the better one though becasue it has full support for SLi without the adapter. Mine has a green fan, and yous will have a blue fan.

You will love that PSU! It is perfect for OC'ing, and it will power even the most power hungry systems. IMO, that PSU is the best. When you take into account the quality, and all the features you get with that unit for the price, it cannot be beat.

It is also a geaorgeous unit. The finish on it is a Titanium Chrome looking finish. Be sure to keep your window clean. This one is a looker. You'll be proud to show that PSU off.

The rails will be solid as a rock. If you measure them with a DMM under load, you're gonna be shocked to find that they hold their voltage no matter what you load the system with.

A mistake? NO! Just the opposite. You made one of the best moves ytou could make my freind. :)

Hopefully my computer won't kill it. =D

it would be a shame to kill such a beauty

Aren't you the one that was having PSU's going out? If so, make sure nothing on the board is shorting on the case, and check for metal particles are anything that short. You may also want to blow off the mobo and all the ports and electronics on the board with compressed air. I have an air compressor I use, so it's easy for me, but alot of people don't have one. You can get cans of compressed air if you don't have a compressor.

You are right! You do NOT want to burn that one. You cannot buy a better PSU. You can get one of about the same quality from PC P&C but it's gonna put a dent in your wallet! heh Guys have clocked up into 5GHz+ with those units, and have dual 7800's, and all kinds of storage, and games and everything under the sun that will load one, and it doesn't even phase that unit.

Actually, I think the unit is underrated. There's just nothing you can load that unit with that will cause it to droop. i did a test where I opened all kinds of apps. it was insane. You'd never do that except for a test. I had video going, has a game opened, and all kinds of other apps (forget what all they were, becasue it's been awhile), and nothing phased it. I was laughing at it. I was like "Wooohooo hooo, you go big daddy!" hehe It is a powerful unit. It has quality protection circuitry, and it will definitely do what you want it to without having to worry at all.

Could my card possibly have a short?

The card works fine and even scored like 6500 in a 3d mark 05

i always benched it alot. Obviously if there was a problem it wouldn't do good.

the ONLY thing changed on the system was the card so it has to be the problem

1. too many power for my aspire 520w and my thermal take 420 w

2. another more serious problem currently unknown

3. the ocz should solve problem one. if its problem 2 then i dont know.

Zatrix said:
Could my card possibly have a short?

The card works fine and even scored like 6500 in a 3d mark 05

i always benched it alot. Obviously if there was a problem it wouldn't do good.

the ONLY thing changed on the system was the card so it has to be the problem

1. too many power for my aspire 520w and my thermal take 420 w

2. another more serious problem currently unknown

3. the ocz should solve problem one. if its problem 2 then i dont know.

I don't know your level of experience with these things, so if I'm asking questions that seem too basic, please excuse. I'm looking for anything at all that could cause these units to go out. Since I have no idea exactly what was done I wanna make sure I cover all the bases.

hmmmm, you said you replaced the card. Did you have the PSU power switch turned off and the PSU Power Plug unplugged from the wall when you took the card out and replaced it?

Does the molex aux power pulg on the card have any looseness or play in it? Are there any molexes that could be broken?

Have you looked over the mobo for pins on headers that could've got bent together?

Are there any heatsinks or anything that could be touching and shorting anything on the mobo?

Something sounds like it's shorting, so really looks for things tha could cause that? If you suspoect the VC look it over with a magnifying glass if you have to.

Do blow off all components. All it takes is one little metal particle to create havoc with these things, and even if there's no metal, it's always good to keep things nice and clean.

Zatrix said:
Well i guess if its a short it would of shorted something out. everything works fine so i guess its the lack of power.

Well not all shorts are dead shorts. A slight short could be blowing the fuse while the system is off but may not be bad enough to cause other problems for the system. Have you checked the fuse (obvious thing to do, for me, but maybe you didn't?)
Check the fuses in your old PSUs. If the PSUs failed without smoke, noise or any other catastrophy, i'de bet the fuse blew.

K15 said:
Well not all shorts are dead shorts. A slight short could be blowing the fuse while the system is off but may not be bad enough to cause other problems for the system. Have you checked the fuse (obvious thing to do, for me, but maybe you didn't?)
Check the fuses in your old PSUs. If the PSUs failed without smoke, noise or any other catastrophy, i'de bet the fuse blew.

i have little to no experiance with psu's

no smoke, noise or anything happened to the psu. how would i check the fuse.

I dont think your setup will fry that psu im only using a Enermax Noisetaker 370W to run the whole of my setup!

1 cd re-writer
1 dvd re-writer
A64 [email protected]
1 raptor
1 80gig wd
watersetup including 3fans for the rad
2case antec case fans

no problem!

Back