• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe voltage for Athlon64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberbob69

I have managed to get my Athlon64 3200+ from the stock 2.0Ghz to 2.45Ghz using 1.5volts. How much more voltage should I risk?? During the prime95 stress test the CPU temp reaches 45 deg, too hot??

Not neccisarely too hot, if you're running stock [cooling] though I won't reccomend to go much higher than what you have now @ stock cooling. It's a subject of heated debate really- how much voltage is too much. Personally I wouldn't go much higher if I were you.

It is fairly likely that your CPU might be limited by its make(core and date of production) , but if your'e feeling brave you can bump up the volts to see if you get a higher speed and then make the descision whether higher volts is worth a possible improved clock. (I'm sure you know by now since you allready know how to oc your cpu this far,but if you dont - that regardless of stability too high of volts can degrade at your cpu, thus shortening its lifespan.)

Last but not least :welcome: to the forums, enjoy your stay!

Last edited:
I have a new A64 3200+ running at 2.5Ghz at ~1.55v, 39C load under folding 24/7. My case has good cooling with the stock HSF. My motherboard (Epox NF4 ultra) has the CPU voltage set to auto. As long as your temps are low, any moderate increase in vcore will be fine.

Oh, and :welcome: too!

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, might be time to consider water cooling, I want to get to at least 2.5Ghz for a 25% o'clock. I don't really care if I kill the CPU as I will be upgrading to a Opteron 150 soon, so this is really a testbed for my next CPU.

P.S. 'drshivas' I noticed that your core multiplier is 12.5?? Please tell me how
you managed to increase your muliplyer from the stock 10x. I was told
that the Athlon64 3200+ was partially core locked, in that you can
decrease the multiplier but not increase it?? To achieve my o'clock of
2.45Ghz I pushed the FSB to 245Mhz with the stock multiplier of 10x.
Then to get some stability out of my ram (Giel UltraX DDR400 2,2,5,2) I
changed the divider to keep the ram at about 200Mhz (actually
203Mhz). But I think that the FSB is at it's limit, hence my desire to
increase my core multiplier. PLEASE HELP!! :bang head

YGPM... I think you got the XP-M Barton rig in my signature confused with the A64 I mentioned. My A64 3200+ is only at 10x, as you pointed out.

umm sorry to interupt but is there a certain sweetspot for 3200+ or a venice cuz thats what im getting?

Back