• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning DVD+R at 12X takes 40 mins =/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

The burner is a NEC ND-3520A

Yeah, I tried burning a DVD at 12X and 8X and it takes over 40 minutes, I tried using both NERO 7 and ULEAD BURN.NOW, they both take just as long.

I tried using both the stock firmware and modified firmwares, and both take 40+ minutes at 8X.

Shouldn't 8x take somewhere around 12 minutes and 12x take somewhere around 9 minutes?

I tried searching for previous problems like this, but couldn't find anything, what's causing this problem?

Is your buffer running low? I have found that if I try to burn at 16x and then do other stuff while burning, the buffer will run low and need to refill itself before continuing to burn. This causes a huge slow down in buring time. If I leave it alone, it will burn the whole disc in 9min or so. If I do other stuff while burning at 16x it will usually take 14-20min.

I have the same burner and burn DVD's in about 15 min with 4x write speed.
I typically don't burn faster than 4x when it comes to dvd movies.

^^ Ditto, for some reason my DVD player doesn't do so well on anything burned faster than that. Could be my media.

Nexus Realized said:
Seems like something is running in the background? :shrug:
Takes me 44mins to rip and burn an entire movie @ 4x

If you're talking about 44min to rip and burn a DVD at 4x, that sounds about right.

Otherwise I would shut down any other programs that may be running in the background, increase the read buffer, try different media and like it has been suggested, check that the drive is running in DMA mode, not PIO. If you're using W2K/XP, check the Event Log for 'cdrom' errors or other errors Windows may be encountering in the background.

No Error messages,

drive runs in DMA

no programs running in background

Don't know how to increase read buffer, but ram usage is less than half...

I just got a program that shows burn speed in realtime, and the realtime burnspeed seems to be around 1.6X..

Just about the only thing that I haven't tried is different media, but something tells me that that won't change anything....

Nexus Realized said:
^^ Ditto, for some reason my DVD player doesn't do so well on anything burned faster than that. Could be my media.

you're right, it's your media...get a good media and burn at 16x.. you shouldn't have a problem... i always buy the cheapest memorex 16x DVD-R for my NEC 3540A and never had a problem (so far) ... i've tried ritek/ridata DVD+R and they were hit/miss.....

If it is taking a long time to rip it is because of riplock. your drive is forced to read back DVD-video at 2x max so it can take a really long time to rip a movie. YOu said you were using modified firmware , make sure you get one that disables riplock. I have a PX-716SA and you just hold the button for 3 secs and it disables riplock. I can rip & burn in ~ 15 minutes, including the transcode (this is with 1 drive). If it is just burning really slow you are getting buffer underruns. Make sure all your drives are in DMA mode. Make sure the drive you are reading from (if you have two drives) has riplock disabled as well.

Back