• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MX1 Vs. AS5 My experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welp.. simple enought. I tried MX1 for the first time and well its gona be the last. After applying mx1 to my 6800gt and letting rhbtl run for 2 minutes the card was reading over 80C!!!!! I quicky shut down my rig and changed to as5. Ran rhtbl agian and didnt pass 68C! MX1 Offically sucks! Why do they even market that crap?

bitwarm.jpg

Thats with the AS5. And Silencer rv5

Strangly enought after running rhtbl the pcb was so hot it would burn me if i kept my hand on it to long. Thats on the other side of the power connector end.

Scary! :D

stick to the tried and true leaders!

Ive got like 6 tubes of AS5 at home so i wont be switching any time soon. Ive always had bad results with anything but.

AS5 ftw...I got my own mix of thermal paste and it comes pretty close to the same temps as AS5. I've run out of AS5 so im just using that until I can buy some more...hopefully with my Opteron 165 in the next few days

I'm actually using MX-1 all the time mainly because it came with my AC products and its serving me great, I'm happy with it until I can get my hands on some AS5.

I have used both MX-1 and AS5, and for me, they perform very similarly. I am currently using MX-1 on my processor, and with my slightly modified Freezer64, I am getting load temps of 39-40c with a room temp of ~25c. I think you must have done something wrong, maybe seated the heatsink wrong, because there should not be a 12c difference between any 2 thermal pastes.

Of course, there might be something wrong with your tube of MX-1. You can send it to me for some testing. :p

I think you must have done something wrong, maybe seated the heatsink wrong, because there should not be a 12c difference between any 2 thermal pastes.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

MX1 is actually a pretty good TIM. It came with the freezer 64 I've got and it gave me pretty good temps. Switching to AS5 only gave me an average 1*C change. Theres definatly something wrong with the way you applied it to get a change that big. Even generic stuff can do better than that.

You cant mount the heatsink wrong. It only goes on 1 way and only secures itself 1 way... MX1 just sucks. Its very very thick and dosnt spread easy. Also I feel that my card dosnt mount flush with the hs for some reason... there isnt enought pressure directly on the core and pcb to push it tight... may have to do some modd...ing.... :burn:

No thermal paste, IMHO, is going to cause a 12C difference. Care to run this experiment again in a little more detail? pics maybe?

i have AS5, nice stuff. but i'm ordering MX1 now

as all ppl sad, 12C = crazy . it can't be

and
u know what, u sad "for 2 minutes". u need to give a thermal paste about 48 hours to work really good

There's another thread about my paste, it's still at a testing stage, though it already beat AS5. I'm trying to get a reputable yet powerful party to review/test it, see if it's really that good.

Yeah the sink must have been mounted wrong for the MX-1. I'm pretty sure that there was only a 3deg.C difference between the radioshack paste and the AS5 that I've used.

The Big One said:
-Thrilla- can u give me a link?

-Thrilla- said:
Silversinksam said:
-Thrilla- said:
Please give me your address, I will send you a sample to test.

I gave him my address and then he sent this

Sorry, I don't think I will be sending my sample anymore, I will find a more friendly forum.

He must be upset I told him using toilet paper to wipe off any TIM is not the best solution

Back