• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my Opty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, I finally got my system up and all, a gig of BH-5 at 2-2-2-5 @ 3.8V. But, I have no idea where to begin overclocking my opty. Running a DFI Ultra-D.

I thought possibly increasing my FSB alittle more, so I bumped it to 240, and my system couldnt pass Pi32M. Help?

CABYE 0540

Why do you have your voltage on your ram so high already? 3.8 is prety high.
Give us some info on your system. Like what cooling also what bios version are you running, are you actively cooling your overvolted ram? and what are your mem settings in bios or a64 tweeker?

To start with you need to run a high devider on your memeory so your mem is running well under 200 then run a devider on your hyper transport I think its called ldt after that you can start to up your fsb take the chip as far as it will go then back it off a little bit. at that point you will want to do the same to your mem by running a devider on the processor and slowly move your fsb up with your ram set at 1:1 or 200, untill it doesnt pass memtest. then you can burn it in to see if you get any more out of it. Once you have checked all components ( ram , processor, northbridge) you can set everything where you want ti by using deviders and multiplyers and your fsb.
Voltage will help you stabalise but you need to do some research to find out what components will handle what voltage.
Again if you want help we need more information about your system. OHHH AND LET US KNOW OF TEMPS TOO

Read the overclocking sticky. you need to test each component individiually to see which one is holding you back. Did you drop the ldt multi to 3X ? Do this, Drop the ldt multi to 3x. Use the 133 memory divider and drop the CPU to 6x. Now you can raise the htt to find your mobo's max. After that, you will need to find where your memory maxes out. Then you can test to find the maximum CPU clock.

j.

wait. what do you mean by "set my cpu to 5x, and the multiplier to 6x" ? There are two multipliers to adjust. LDT multiplier, and CPU multiplier. I'm going to assume that you have set the LDT multiplier to 5x, as that is the maximum setting for that multi. This puts your LDT value at 1125. My board will not even post with the LDT that high. You need to adjust the LDT multiplier DOWN. Make sure that you keep the LDT value below 1000. 5X only if you're using the default 200mhz HTT as 200 x 5 = 1000. 4x up to 250, 3x up to 333, 2x above that. Hope that helps.

J.

LDT/FSB Multi: Less than 3x is safe
HTT/FSB Multi: Leave at stock

HTT Clockspeed: Keep increasing by 5-10mhz until system can't pass SuperPi32M
then increase
CPU Vid: +0.025v
Keep the unstable clockspeed but check to see if its stable with new and increased voltage.
If stable, then repeat increasing HTT clockspeed step. If not, then you need to repeat the voltage step.

Rinse. Repeat.

EDIT: WATCH TEEEMPPS!!!

Yeah. Now monitor temps while SuperPi32M runs.

If it completes successfully, increase FSB again.

I got up to 245 when it rebooted my windows, so I dropped down to 240 at 4x LDT. Going to run SuperPI32M now. :shrug: Will I not be able to go higher, or am I missing something? Do I need to increase any voltages? Only thing I have increased is my DRAM voltage.

240 didnt get past iteration 1 on a 32M Pi calculation. I dont think my Cabye would be THAT bad. I have to be missing something.

Edit: Set my ram timing down to a 3/4 divider, all the timings to auto, and am trying to go up higher now. But, how will I get my ram back up in the end?

Last edited:
Up to 3 with a 1.6V on the proc, 37-38*C idle, 47-48*C load. Still have to increase the FSB to its max, and test the RAM, but I will do that tommorow. Tired.

Hey, thats pretty impressive! I would let go on the voltage though, try to get it as low as possible.

Back