• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 520-SLI connector questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonTattooz

This PSU has two types of rectangular 4-pin connectors. One type is the one you normally see for hard drives, optical drives, or whatever. The other one has the same connector, but it's specifically marked "HDD/VGA". I have SATA HD's and a PCI-e vid card, so I don't need that connector for either of those.

My questions are- Is there is difference between those connectors? Can I use the HDD/VGA connector for the mobo? Or my water pump? Or does it have a different (special) current rating?

My guess is that it's no different, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

TIA

Yes you can. The reason it is marked is becasue it has chokes, and is shelided, so if you have a Video Card (or anything you want to keep RF noise out of), that is the one you want to use, but a molex is a molex. They are all standard, so it can be used on anything if you don't need it for it's speciffic use.

Me too! The only thing I didn't like is the 4 extra connections that I didn't need that were all sleeved and "bulky" (the 2x PCI-X, 1 of the HDD/VGA, the extra 4-pin from the "24 pin", and the extra P4+ 4-Pin). I was able to route them semi-neatly, but they still add clutter.

I really wanted Modular, but the OCZ Powerstream520's Quality won me over! The Blue LED matches my CPU fan, too!

:cool:

Thanks. I'm still building the computer, so I don't have any opinions on the quality yet. But, I bought it because of the rave reviews. I'm sure I'll be happy.

Ya know what's weird though? While I was researching PSU's I read about the blue LED fan and since my theme is blue, that was just an added bonus. But mine appears to have a green fan. The box shows a green fan, and it sure looks green to me. It's definitely a Powerstream 520-SLI, maybe they changed them? Or maybe there is an option for green or blue? I dunno, but I sure do wish it was blue. I suppose I could put a different fan in it, but I really don't want to open the PSU. I think it would probably void the warranty. Any thoughts on that?

I just got mine 2 weeks ago f/Newegg, and it has the blue LED's (and SLI capable - not that I'd ever need SLI). There must be a Blue/Green option that I was not aware of. Opening the top and changing the fan will surely void the factory warranty.

Man, this thing is stable! No fluctuations. It is also a "looker" with the polished finish. I don't think I'll out-grow this P.S. until a whole new form-factor comes out!

:cool:

Hmmmm...I really hadn't looked at it that closely. The fans are actually clear. I don't know WTF I was thinking saying that they looked green. :shrug: Maybe they are blue when they come on. I sure hope so.

If I jumper the green and black wires, will that cause the fans to come on? Or are they thermally controlled? I did a test post about a week ago, but the fans didn't come on and the LED's on the back didn't come on. That bothered me a little bit. I haven't messed with it since then, other than to sleeve it. I swear, after sleeving this thing, if it's bad, I'm gonna go ballistic.

I got impatient waiting for an answer, so I jumpered the PSU. The fan is blue! WOOT! And, the power LED's came on- Thank you GOD! I wonder why they didn't come on when I ran the post test??? That's the first time I've ever ran a post test when building a computer, usually I just build it and hope for the best. ;) But, this is the first time I've ever spent this much money on a computer as well....I've never done this much research and visiting forums, etc.

Back