• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Need A HDTV for Xbox 360 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

I know i cant be the only person that has found themselves in a dillema. Pls help out by posting the cheapest hdtv.

There are black friday threads right below this. You have to take the time to look through the deals.

lcd's with 720p resolution are comming into a more affordable range. cheaper brands with good image quality are syntex (olevia) and westinghouse. not really sure if there are any current deals on them though. keep an eye on amazon, bestbuy and other big places, there's always some deal going on.

Aidenswarrior said:
my dad is getting a 42 inch Samsung DLP for $1000 from best buy. There was some sale or something. It isnt open box or anything. Brand new.

Could you speak with your dad and give specifics on this deal?

Thanks

I got the Hisense TL3220 for $899 this summer from Tiger direct its a great 32" LCD flatpanel and has gotten great reviews all and all its a terrific TV at a great value.

Only one set will do justice to the 360 and thats the Sony Vegas. Price deal or not you can't beat the quality. If you get cheap when buying an HDTV you will regret it in the future, trust me I know.

wannaoc said:
Only one set will do justice to the 360 and thats the Sony Vegas. Price deal or not you can't beat the quality. If you get cheap when buying an HDTV you will regret it in the future, trust me I know.

Sony's high end sets are nice, no doubt about that. But they aren't the de facto best on the market. Sone's Wega line is a lot like Bose - much of what you're paying for is the name. There are other brands that cost less and deliver the same picture, sometimes even a better picture, than the Sony's. How can this be, well..

For starters, did you know that Sony doesn't make plasma panels. There are only only about half a dozen companies in the world that do, mostly in Japan and Korea. My Daewoo plasma has an NEC manufactured panel for example. All TV manufacturers buy the panels from these few companies. So a Sony plasma TV isn't going to be any better than say a Phillips plasma if both are using the same panel.

What about Sony's DLP televisions then? Well, turns out that Texas Instruments makes every last DLP chip in the world, it's their technology - they have the patent. Now there will be variations from one brand to another because there are some things the TV manufacturers control, but because they're all starting from the same base it's impossible for one brand (like Sony) to be vastly superior to the rest of the pack. Just can't happen because all the TV's share too much in common.

My opinion is people should buy whatever HDTV fits their needs, there is no universal best. People have different budgets so not everyone can afford thousands for the Sony name. People have different room layouts, some have space for a projection TV and others don't - so an LCD or plasma works best for them. And most importantly people have different opinions on picture quality.

I think the proper way to shop for a TV is to set a budget and then hitting stores to compare TVs in that price range side-by-side. But remember, TVs almost always look differently when they're in your home than in a store because of the lighting, signal quality, different space, etc. More often than not they look better at home for various reasons. So if you pick something out that compares well vs. other TVs in the store it's a good bed you're going to really like how it looks at home.

Anyone throw out some TV's that would be nice under $1500? I was looking at ressellerratings.com but know very little about the new technology for TV's and what I should be looking for. I'd like to spend no more than $1500 for the TV. Space makes no difference.

Agreed on the Wega. I went over to a friend's house to check out her new 60" Wega set. Whole system set her back near $5k.

When she turned it on and popped up a football game being broadcast in HDTV, I was blown away by the color and clarity. Then she flipped over to NASCAR, and in came the ghosting.

I asked her if she ever noticed "ghosting" on the set. She didn't know what that meant, so I described the effect to her, and she said no. Since it was plain as day to me, I naturally didn't point it out, because if she was happy with it and spent that much, why bring to attention something she would never notice otherwise and spoil her purchase for her? But I decided then and there I wouldn't be buying that model.

Too bad, too, because the colors and clarity were exquisite ... even the viewing angle awesome. But if I can't watch fast action on a big screen without blatant ghosting, it's not worth it to me.

Binow said:
Anyone throw out some TV's that would be nice under $1500? I was looking at ressellerratings.com but know very little about the new technology for TV's and what I should be looking for. I'd like to spend no more than $1500 for the TV. Space makes no difference.

For anyone shopping for an HDTV, be sure to check out CNet's primer to HDTV's at http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html

There's a lot of good info in there and it will probably help you understand the differences in technology a bit better so you can start looking for the set that's right for your needs.

I am very happy with my Toshiba 52HM84. Fry's was selling them for abut $1900 a month ago. It uses the HD2+ chip which many believe offers better PQ than some of the newer chips. I feel its lacking a little in conections, but for my needs it was the best value I could find. I would check out the forums at: http://www.avsforum.com/ .

any cheap small screens my budget is around 350, i was considering a delll 20 inch, or maybe a bigger lcd/tv combo thing, that i can run a computer on

not a whole lot in that price range. you could find Philips wide screen ctr for just above $400 but that's all. most of them 480p though.

what you need for xbox360 is a monitor with a native 720p resolution; in pc terms it's 1280x720. a 26-27" lcd with that resolution would run you about $6-700. you might want to save a bit though, couse it's really worth it. plus they are ok (not great, as dell or gateway 20-24", since these have way higher resolution) as a pc monitor; at least for games they are really good. they do come with vga and dvi connectors. as i mentioned before, syntex (olevia) and westinghouse are considered good budget brands.

Last edited:
Back