• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Material of Case affect Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crispy

Does the Material of the case affect the Temps? Do the Steel case have higher temps than the same exact case and setup of an aluminum case? Or is it basically just a weight thing between the Steel and Aluminum cases? I mean I know the weight of aluminum case is about half of a Steel case. Also what about the Acrylic cases? Also do the Acrylic cases get more dusty in them then any basic case? They just seem to have alot of openings in them. I'm not sure if I want to get a already modded case or just a basic case. I won't really have time to mod it, beside put a blowhole and Side Vents/Fans. Well Thanks for help.

No. Fan placements and size will have a much larger impact on the temperatures. The case doesn't act as a heatsink because none of the parts that need more surface area for cooling come in contact with the case.
The only differences are weight and machinability.

Also do the Acrylic cases get more dusty in them then any basic case?
No, but since they're clear you're going to notice it much faster.

The material of the case will always affect temperature. Is it significant? Probably not unless you don't have good airflow to begin with. A wooden case with a fan or two is better than a metal case with no fans.

With an acrylic case you could get a water tight seal if you so desired.

Yeah, the Zalman TNN cases work because there's heatpipes running from the heat-producing components to the case, and the case is finned. Other than that, case material does not affect temps in any measurable way. Unless your case is made from dry ice.

Case material doesn't effect temps. The arguement was started by case makers and retailers to help justify the $150+ price tag.

You could say that the aluminum drive mounts help to "sink" the drives, but there's no structure to act as a radiator in the airflow path so it would reach a steady state temp anyway.

Cool thank you all for replies. I just wanted to see before I spent an Extra $50-$75 just for an aluminum Style of a certain case. Also my buddy have a 6-8" grainger fan at his house. Not used for PC or anything. But I was wondering if Putting a Big Very Powerful fan like that up top for a Blowhole, if all that air movement would be good for a Case or just a waste? Think the Fan was like $35 or something but I can't seem to find it on their Site. I'll find out from him later what fan it exactly is and Post it. I swore I used to see people using Big Fans like that for Blowholes but I don't see them anywhere anymore. Just figured I'd ask. Thank you much for replies all.

I just got an opposing viewpoint this weekend. I added sound dampaning material to my case and the computer started to overheat. I should say that my goal in this computer is silence and not great performance. Most of the cooling for the PCI cards was already by convection and radiation so the steel case did play an important part, apparently.

I suspect that adding even a small forced airflow will prevent the overheating without adding an audible noise.

if the top of my case gets warm, does that mean it's helping to cool the psu?

i just swaped from a thermaltake steal armor to the ali version and temps are near on exactly the same . but that wasnt why i swaped.. lighter easyer to cut

S random, ckj and others have it right. The case does make a difference but it is so small compared to the airflow and case placement. Buy the case on air flow, features, looks, weight. In the order that you feel are important.

mccoyn said:
I just got an opposing viewpoint this weekend. I added sound dampaning material to my case and the computer started to overheat.
Then I would suspect that you have somehow altered the airflow within the case.
techun said:
if the top of my case gets warm, does that mean it's helping to cool the psu?
No.
crispy said:
Also do the Acrylic cases get more dusty in them then any basic case?
Not so much more dust in them, but I've noticed that they tend to attract more dust on them...possibly due to static charge or something?

Case material does not affect temps in any way that is noticeable.

IT is just a myth that aluminum cases lower case temps but that is false.

mccoyn said:
I just got an opposing viewpoint this weekend. I added sound dampaning material to my case and the computer started to overheat. I should say that my goal in this computer is silence and not great performance. Most of the cooling for the PCI cards was already by convection and radiation so the steel case did play an important part, apparently.

I suspect that adding even a small forced airflow will prevent the overheating without adding an audible noise.

The sound-dampening material is a heat insulator.

i dont see how if the case is hot, it's not helping to cool down the psu
the psu is in direct contact with the case

if i put fins on top of my case, it would help more, right?

techun said:
i dont see how if the case is hot, it's not helping to cool down the psu
the psu is in direct contact with the case

if i put fins on top of my case, it would help more, right?

Probably, if you put some thermal pad material between the power supply and the case, and had good heat transfer between the heatsinks inside the power supply and the casing of the power supply. For better results, I suggest you just swap the fans in the power supply with more powerful ones, if you know how to do so safely.

Back