• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Theater speakers or z-5500???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you can find a decent receiver and bookshelf speakers for @ $220 - please share your source.

Having said that, I agree. The Logitech Z-5500 set of speakers is worth $200, but that's not really saying a lot. I've auditioned these speakers and was underwhelmed to say the least. I have some $50 Altec Lansings that sound just as good. No, they don't get as loud, but loudness != quality.

It might seem like I'm being hard on the Z-5500's. I'm not. They've squeaked out as much quality at that pricepoint as one can expect for a complete 5.1 package.

The Pioneer HTIB setup is probably no better.

If you absolutely must upgrade your computer speakers for around $200. Get yourself a 2.1 package. You get more speaker for your money that way. Altec Lansing's FX6021 2.1 setup sounds much better than any 5.1 PC gaming setup I've listened to.

Richard said:
If you can find a decent receiver and bookshelf speakers for @ $220 - please share your source.

Onkyo TX-SR302 Receiver ($100 before shipping)

They have the Polk Audio R15 (Pair) for $50 before tax and shipping at www.outpost.com every other week or so. Otherwise these look very nice:

Infinity Primus 150 ($60 Each Speaker w/ free shipping)

I agree with the Logitechs if they are anything like the 5300s, they really don't sound that great but are damn powerful, especially the bass which unfortunately overpowers everything else. For 2.1s I'd say the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set is great.

Back