• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are you guys getting such high PPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flmz

I just started folding again (heat issues during the summer), and I'm amazed at the ppd you guys are getting. Right now I'm running gromacs cores on my laptop(1.6 dothan) and am averaging under 100 PPD. Right now they're gave me three p2305's and I'm taking around 15 hours to crunch each of them at 46 points each. I'm already using -service and -forceasm flags. Whats the trick to getting higher ppd?

the secret is............Pentium4/D!! :D

well, if your laptop has more than 512mb or better 1gb memory, turn on the bigpocket so you'll get some extra point. or for even better result, you can manually transfer some QMD unit from a pentium4/D rig to the laptop; however, I've never did that......too lazy...... :p

I think QMD's are out of the question because I only have 512mb ram and I use the laptop as my main rig. Am I taking unusually long time to crunch these WU for my CPU? or am I just getting a ****ty WU?

flmz said:
I think QMD's are out of the question because I only have 512mb ram and I use the laptop as my main rig. Am I taking unusually long time to crunch these WU for my CPU? or am I just getting a ****ty WU?

some of us also get such high PPD because we have MANY computers folding for us at once. On F(OC)LD.... (subteam i'm on)... we have probably nearly 25-30 computers or more at any one time folding for us. Some of these others have 2 or 3 times as many.

Per system, the Pentium 4 D (dual cores) 1Mb RAM or more can fold two QMD cores at once and get about 800ppd (for reference)

I guess p2305 is just a crappy WU. Right now I just got a p2020 WU folding at 4.5 minutes per frame at 80 points per WU. Nearly 4x the point efficiency.

My 1 ghz duron @ 1170 folds @ ~70ppd

My main rig A64 could fold those 350 pointers in 22 hours, but didn't get them constantly so the average is probably more like 200-250 ppd for various cores over time. Hope to get that back up in about a week or so, just waiting on a PSU. Then I can let it sit and fold for a good while and get an accurate bench on it's folding ppd.

Max0r said:
Holy god why is mine doing only ~14? 850 MHz duron @ 1000. lol Different core?

SSE I think is the difference. 850MHz Durons are Spitfire cores and do not have SSE. 1GHz Durons are Morgan cores and DO have SSE, which helps.

I guess the WU has ALOT to do with it. With -advmethods, I went from getting gromacs that were giving me on average 70 ppd, to dgromacs, which I fold twice as fast and are worth twice the points. These babies will be gettting me around 250-300 ppd. :santa:

David said:
SSE I think is the difference. 850MHz Durons are Spitfire cores and do not have SSE. 1GHz Durons are Morgan cores and DO have SSE, which helps.

I believe the 1GHz came is several flavors, but in fact I do have a Morgan. The best this thing does is Amber Cores which are 95 pointer in about 23-25 hours.

On average the P4 3.0ghz systems I run here do about 425-475ppd just grinding away. Even tho one of these is my main office rig which I use most of the day. The HT (Hyper Threading) the 1 gig of ram and getting a little lucky on WUs is what pushes my production up.

Back