• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird vortex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ripit

If there is one thing I am starting to get good at, it is ghetto style mods that cost next to nothing (and have a 50/50 chance of working). Well this seems like it works. I'll let the pictures speak for them selves on what it is. The blower is from an 8ft inflatable scarecrow that I got for 5$ on clearance (kind of like the big 8ft inflatable santa clauses people put in their yards). The pipe is a dryer vent hose. The hose actually fit perfect on the blower and matched up perfect with an 80mm fan mount.

So now for the vortex. The blower blows quite strong right out of the front of it (you can feel it on your hand 2 feet away). With the pipe hooked up (the pipe expands from 2.5ft length to up to 8 ft and is spiral in design), there is almost no air even 6 inches from the end of the pipe. You can stick your hand into the center of the pipe (hose) and there is a complete dead spot (no air movment). . You can feel air around the edge of the hose but it doesn't feel like much, even inches away, till you actually just about touch it, but when you get that close and almost cover the end with your hand, you can then defanatlly feel the air and the preasure (I think it is coming out with reduced air volume but increased preasure). The air seems to be coming out sidways around the edge of the hose like the spiral design of the hose has made the air vortex. I figured that it might give beter air distribution but might reduce actual cfm of air flow. I know that the case gets air when it is hooked up, because you can place your hand anywhere in front of the case and feel a draft (air blowing out every vent and crack in the front of the case). Cpu temps drop about 8-10c with the fan on (compared to it off and no fan at all 52c max without to 39c minimum though some was with minor load, some wasn't, I am pretty certain I'm getting at least 8-10c). This particular motherboard only reports cpu temp (the blower will eventually go on my other overclocked computer but this one was easier to test it on).

Any thoughts on the way the the air is vortexing? Should I try to get a diffrent kind of hose that doesn't do that?

Attachments

• DSC00720.JPG
    DSC00720.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00719.JPG
    DSC00719.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00717.JPG
    DSC00717.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 70
What if you make a cardboard cross and put it in the end of the hose that connects to the blower. that should stop (or slow) the vortex. How loud is that thing anyhow?

hibner said:
What if you make a cardboard cross and put it in the end of the hose that connects to the blower. that should stop (or slow) the vortex. How loud is that thing anyhow?
Believe it or not, its not reall that loud. Its too loud, but easy to fix (I hope). Right now, think of a decent power hand held vacume, wrapped up in a big, fluffy comforter to muffle the noise (thats what it sounds like free and open).
Another comparison. A variable speed fan that came with an x dream cpu cooler (80mm), and a thermaltake volcano fan (had both those running on the back of my case once), was much louder at high settings (80mm fans). I had intended from the start to put the blower in an enclosure. I have 3 16x20 fiberglass furnace filters that I paid 22 cents ea for, plus a high performance filter that I paid 1.20 for (american air filter dirt demon dust shield). Working retail, I also managed to get a heavy cardboard box, that is the right dimentions, to either put one fileter (or a few stacked) on top, or make both of the broad sides filters(with stacked filters if I like), and contain the blower in a box (large cardboard box), with furnace air filters for 1-2 sides. Thats actually how I intended to do it, but I wanted to get it done quick to tell someone about it (stupid pride thing, please ignore).
I'll defanatlly try a cardboard cross at the entrance. I'm also curious about anything I could put in the tube to disrupt the efect (through the entire tube or at both ends.
my main point is, the vortex increases air preasure, decresses flow (but thier is still good flow when conected). For all I know the vortex is aiding in cpu cooling by blowing the air in in a vortex, instead of straight in, which would blow right to the front. I'll try some cross style (that actually sound farmiliar) air disrupters, at the mouth, and maybe a foot into the pipe (as far as I can easilly get by hand).
I wont work on the air flow tonight though, as I am going to work on the box (I'm convinced I can make this silent). I got a bunch of styrofoam (the regular white ****, but big flat sheets), and all kinds of pieces,plus some more urathane type foam (thin sheets, closed cell).

Last minute recomendations are welcome.....Lots of duct tape, some harrry carry, and a little luck (or major falure)???

Back