• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modular VS Norm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

I was just wondering what the difference between a modular PSU and a I guess a normal one is. I see they look a little bit different but thats about all I can tell from the eye.

Thanks'

Sorry for asking a dumb question but I need to know = P

Not necissarily lower quality, just not as powerful as most "regular" power supplies. Hiper makes some really nice modular power supplies with rock solid rails and a nice weight to them.

Sometimes you can tell a higher quality psu from a lower quality one by its weight. Though not a 100% reliable test, it does ring true sometimes. One of my lower quality ones is very light compared to my antec that runs my main rig.

LordDarik said:
Not necissarily lower quality, just not as powerful as most "regular" power supplies. Hiper makes some really nice modular power supplies with rock solid rails and a nice weight to them.

Hyper good not according to this review http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=64&page=4474

Modular psu aren't lower quailty. Though they don't much non modular psu. Some people get modular psu for wire management but same effect can be obtained with non modular.

Modular cables increases electrical resistance so in theory they are not as good as normal PSUs if the PSU internals used are the same. But a good modular PSU can be better than a normal PSU if better components and design is taken into consideration.

So what am I saying here? If you want to get a modular PSU, just make sure to get a good one and don't worry about how it will compare to normal PSUs. Most people I know, love modular PSUs because they really help to reduce cable clutter in cases.

one of the best modular PSU's i know of is the sunbeam NUUO 550watt. i've seen all good reviews on it and it is the only SLI certified modular PSU. there aren't any in stock at newegg right now, but i've seen them in stock in some other places. i don't remember where tho.

Know Nuttin said:
That's not true. Antec's Neo HE 550w, and Hiper's Type-R 580w are also SLI certified.
sorry, i should say the only SLI certified modular PSU for under $90, is that better? :)

I really do not care much for modular PSU's. I've seen too mnay issues with the extra plugs getting worn and becomming intermittent, and the fact that they add resistence to the system.

There is really only one modular PSU I'd recommend and that si the PC P&C Units sold by Performance PC's. Those units are criminally expensive though.

With good wire management, you can have a clean look that is just as good as what a modular unit will give, and the power leads are more reliable, and more efficient.

The Hyper's have a neat way of dealing with the inefficiency and the intermittent issues by using a avionic type plug found on aircraft, but they are large and bluky and may not fit mnay of the mid tower cases out there. There are better quality units out there that are non-modular, and are cheaper.

I like the OCZ, Fortron and PC P&C, but the PC P&C are just too dang expensive. All of these are great units, but the PC P&C is just too overpriced. If they'd come down just a hair on their price they'd sell alot more units, and more people would recommend them. They'd make more money too becasue of the higher volume.

OCZ Modstream is a nice modular powersupply, im not sure its really worth going modular, i never had trouble tucking the cables up and under, its a nice concept just needs to be perfected more so it will be on the same level as regular PSUs.

Back