• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI being cancelled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No Seti is not switching off, its just transfering to better software -platform for distributed computing projects called Boinc. I heared that Stanford is also preparing Folding client that works with Boinc, so some of us might actually going to Fold. :)
But there are similar projects already working on the Boinc platform called Rosetta and Predictor that are dealing with the proteins.

EDIT: Lol Eaglescouter, you really beat me only by a few seconds with this post :)

Just goes to show how taking a section of a something out of context can create a whole new meaning. Not sure I'd want to join a group that had to resort to these kind of tactics to recruit members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescouter
...SETI is one of those projects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
...but SETI will not be one of them...

skab said:
Just goes to show how taking a section of a something out of context can create a whole new meaning. Not sure I'd want to join a group that had to resort to these kind of tactics to recruit members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescouter
...SETI is one of those projects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
...but SETI will not be one of them...

I was not doing this as a means of recruitment, I was doing it to show that in officiality, SETI is being cancelled. There will no longer be a 'SETI' project. There will just be BOINC. I also rather take offense at the aspect of you thinking it was a means of recruitment in such a manner. If I seriously wish to get somebody for F@H, I do it in a civil and fair manner. I dont just quote 2 things and say 'hey, look, its like this'.

Last edited:
Whom ever wrote the article used some misleading wording. The project isn't over, it's just using new software.

November 15, 2005
The old SETI@home Classic project will stop issuing work on December 15, 2005. Anyone still running SETI@home Classic should deactivate it and install SETI@home/BOINC (see instructions under 'Getting started' on this page).

The first couple of responses to ati's question DO give the impression of vultures descending. :/

Last edited:
Back