• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a new sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MainEvent

Registered
Im looking at purchasing a new sound card to replace whatever it is that I have now (came with the mobo)....all I know about it is that its not that great (its a RealTek AC97 Audio). So I dont have a whole lot to spend, preferable not much over $100 or at all, and only have a 2.1 speaker setup. Would it even be worth it to upgrade my soundcard or would I need to upgrade my speakers as well if I decided on that?

MainEvent said:
Im looking at purchasing a new sound card to replace whatever it is that I have now (came with the mobo)....all I know about it is that its not that great (its a RealTek AC97 Audio). So I dont have a whole lot to spend, preferable not much over $100 or at all, and only have a 2.1 speaker setup. Would it even be worth it to upgrade my soundcard or would I need to upgrade my speakers as well if I decided on that?

this is a nice one for a little over 100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188

what speakers do you have? the x-fi isn't worth the hype unless you're really into surround in games, but with 2.1, hell no, don't get the x-fi

if you plan on staying with 2.1 even if you get new speakers, the Chaintech AV-710 is about $25 and sounds better than any audigy2 card on its hi-sample rate mode (i have both, i tried, although the judgment of sound is subjective) although in hi-sample rate mode the mic-in and line-in are disabled, it's a card recommended by audiophiles all the time unlike the audigy series

Yeah im not too into surround on gaming, I would rather upgrade my surround sound system for my tv rather than my pc speakers. But thanks for that card reccomendation, sounds like a good buy. Mainly what I wanted is just improved sound quality for listening to music, not so much gamming surround sound.

But if you have a 7.1 card, does that mean its nessacary to have a 7.1 speaker setup for the card to operate or no?

No, you just use 2.1 channels instead of 7.1. A 7.1 is more versatile because you can set it up to be anything from mono up to 7.1 (I have 14 choices with built-in AC'97 7.1). Go to Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices-->Volume-->Advanced. Then set the option in each game to match that. Some games require you to modify the config script file to get certain speaker set-ups.

MainEvent said:
Mainly what I wanted is just improved sound quality for listening to music, not so much gamming surround sound.

If you don't use mic-in or line-in much, then the Chaintech AV-710 is the card for you.

If you want to do any serious gaming you're better off getting the audigy 2, but that chaintech card has better sound quality for music IMO.

I agree with getting a Chaintech AV-710, cheap and you won't regret it. Fantastic for music(Thought I have replaced it with an X-fi, this card flat out beats it, but I doubt it would be worth it if you're only using 2.1).

Back