• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enbracing the Darkside...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
Luke,

Today is Thanksgiving and it is interesting to see that so many BOINC projects are popping up here in the folding@home board... but I guess it is understandable now that so many projects are accepting Berkeley's software architecture.

UW's Rossetta made the switch--as did IBM and United Systems "World Grid" (which many have been discussing here in various threads) that developed the FightAIDS@Home and Human Proteome Folding projects. Here's a current BOINC project list:

Predictor@home: investigate protein-related diseases
Rosetta@home: help researchers develop cures for human diseases
Climateprediction.net: study climate change
Einstein@home: search for gravitational signals emitted by pulsars
LHC@home: improve the design of the CERN LHC particle accelerator
SETI@home: Look for radio evidence of extraterrestrial life
Cell Computing biomedical research (Japanese; requires nonstandard client software)
World Community Grid: advance our knowledge of human disease.

As you can see biomedical research is now more than 50% of the projects, and I just saw your own folding@home on the beta project list in the Berkeley forums. Soon, all our differences may be cast aside and we will, again, become one happy DC family.

Enjoy your turkey,

Darth

Last edited:
This all started at Oxford and United Devices sponsored by IBM, http://www.ud.com/company/milestones.htm and http://www.grid.org/home.htm. Grid was formed a few years back to host other projects and now The Grid and WCG has been formed to bring together even more DC groups. Must have been some rivalry between Burkeley and Oxford but I can't find where BU founded the arcitecture but I'll keep looking.
Projects include:
Cancer Research,
Anthrax Research,
Smallpox Research,
Human Proteome Folding Project (WCG mentioned in the head of this thread).

Back