• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying Headphones and Soundcard (tomorrow morning). Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QPower

Registered
Hi everyone, this is my very first post and I love your forums... Only have been an observer for the last 2-3 months. And now I seriously need some sound advice.

Here's what going on:
- I want to buy a sound card and headphones TOMORROW MORNING (Black Friday), over the internet (only ZipZoomFly, Amazon or Newegg).

Actual Situation:
- 6 Year old halfway functional Altec Lansing Speakers 2.1 (will upgrade later on to a 5.1 or 7.1, but I don't want to know anything about them yet).
- 4 Year old A90 Plantronics
- Intergrated sound from NF4 DFI Ultra-D socket 939 (Even I can tell it is bad)

Uses:
- I watch a lot of anime and movies with good quality, so it would be nice something that will let me enjoy movies at full force (Surround and such).

- I do NOT play First Person Shooters. Only once every month. Maybe I'll start playing fear when I get a better sound because that game is evil with sound.

-I play lots of Warcraft 3, usually with some good MP3 on background.

- Most of the music I play are MP3/WMA... like 99.9%. My Pc has MP3s on 24/7 with or without volume. I usually don't put huge efforts on MP3s listening only as background while playing, cleaning, etc... I seldomly just listen to MP3s, but it happens at times.

About the Sound Card: - I know basically nothing about Soundcards.

- My first impression was to buy de X-Fi Platinum with the Front Deck and remote (aprox 190$ in newegg). The remote will be very useful for all the movies I watch, and to turn up or down the volume I also kinda like the Front Deck (*bling* factor). Eventually I will help even more when I buy the speakers

- I do not "NEED" the front Deck and Remote and extras, but I think I want them. I can live with something much simpler as long as it has quality sound (right now I have a remote from a TV Turner and it partially works with Winamp).

- I'm not buying the ExtremeMusic, I'm only going for the X-Fi because of the bundle with Deck and Remote.

- My Budget is around 100$ for a simple card without extras (Deck, Remote) and 190$ for the full thing (like the X-Fi Platinum).

- My choices right now are the X-Fi Platinum (full bundle) or one of the simpler Audigy2 ZS Packages around 80$-90$.

- Please feel free to suggest any other brands.

About Headphones:
- I know less about Headphones that I know about Sound Cards.

- Microphone is NOT necessary, but I guess I could use it. Don't restrict your search to Microphones+Headphones. Though you could suggest a CHEAP extra microphone.

- Sennheiser caught my ears when someone let me borrow an IPOD playing MP3s on Sennheisers. The thing is that I simply can't remember which model they were :( I know they were white, and covered your whole ear with insane isolation. I think they looked like the 497 with the grid like art on the oposite side of the "speaker" (I seriously know NOTHING about headphones). Also I don't think they were top of the line, just really good compared to everything I'm used to. I think they had a microphone but not sure because it DID NOT stick out like most Micro+Headphones combos (like the A90). They also had a little thing that looked like an splitter/converter, i have no clue if it was an USB to normal jack adapter or what but I know it was a little box where you had to connect a few things to use them in the IPOD.

- I would prefer white/very light colored headphones, but it is just a small plus, nothing restrictive.

- So far I only have seen the 280 Pro/Silver and the PC155/PC160/PC165. I also noted the HD 497 because it looks like the one I tried (not sure though). Again don't know the diferences between them. My first choice is the 280 Pro/Silver as of now.

- Some Big Pluses and important features are:
- USB card is a big plus because I will be taking my Headphones to lanparties, friend houses and cybercafe's. Again it is not restrictive.
- Volume adjustment on Headphones
- 5.1 sound
- Somewhat portable (don't have to be tiny, but they can't be huge). Something I can put around my neck if necessary. The A90 have a good size, but they can (and I expect them) to be bigger than that.

- My Budget is around 100$ for the Headphones again, they must be Newegg, Zipzoomfly or Amazon ready.

Thanks for listening

for $100 headphones it wouldnt be smart limiting yourself to those vendors if you can get a better deal somewhere else. i would recommend the grado sr60, sr80, or ms-1 if you want good open phones. for a good closed phone i would recommend the sennheiser hd280pro's. you can head over to head-fi.com and check out more headphone reviews and maybe get people there to give you recommendations.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
for $100 headphones it wouldnt be smart limiting yourself to those vendors if you can get a better deal somewhere else. i would recommend the grado sr60, sr80, or ms-1 if you want good open phones. for a good closed phone i would recommend the sennheiser hd280pro's. you can head over to head-fi.com and check out more headphone reviews and maybe get people there to give you recommendations.

The thing is that I do not live in the US. In fact I live a few thousand miles away (Venezuela), therefore I need a trusted vendor, that can deliver de good fast and cheap (proven fact) and that don't do funny business with my credit card. Those accept either international credit cards or paypal which are my payment methods. Also I'm buying a bunch of things from them and I have previously bought from them without issues

Many places reject my card just because it is not issued by an USA bank. I guess I could add Tiger Direct and Buy.com, but I have never known anyone from other countries buying from those sites and I don't know how troublesome it will be.

I'll check out the web site just in case

EDIT: I might actually wait for my lil' bro to come here in December. It is probably worth the wait. That way I can pick other sites and still have some time for the troubleshooting if any appears.

Last edited:
Back