• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S754 AGP 8x & PCI-e?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

princeofdarknes

I'm looking to upgrade my mobo from my current FIC K8-800T, I like the board but its just not good for overclocking. I currently have a Sempron 64 2600+ running with a 225fsb making the clock 1800mHz because of the x8 locked multiplier and a Sapphire Radeon 9250 which is AGP. I'm looking to upgrade to PCI express in the future but I wouldnt be able to buy a new motherboard at the same time.

So i want a board that has a socket 754 an AGP8x and a PCI-e 16x, i've seen boards with AGPC or AGR but when i read the description they're like at the rate of a 2x or 4x.

If you guys dont know of any that fit this description, at least tell me a good oc'er board that can get me a fsb of 250 (So i can have HTT of 1ghz and a core rate of 2ghz) and that has an AGP lock, because apparently that's the problem i'm having with my current one.

epox and dfi nf3 250gb boards are very good OCing mobo's. Can't go wrong with either or. I haven't seen a pci-e/agp mobo before except for 1, and i am sure others exist but i doubt they are even remotely good OC'rs.

And :welcome: to the forums too :)

Thanx for the help and the welcome.

I've seen boards with AGP 8x and PCI-e but they're always 939 like the asrock 939Dual-SATA2
http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm

And i've seen one for 754 but i read the reviews and it turns out it was a peice of crap.
But thanx i'll look into Epox and dfi Nf3 250gb, btw, why do they have 250gb in their title, i've seen them before but i dont understand

oh and do you think that since the nF3 is nVidia, would it not like my ATI agp card?

Don't go w/ the Epox nF3...I disliked it very much. It did not allow you to use a stock voltage for your processor....nor did it even volt it to the amount you put in BIOS...it usually overvolted the BIOS setting by .2-.5 volts which is plain stupid.

Another AGP only board for 754 that overclocks VERY well and is VERY cheap is the Chaintech nF3....it's about 50$...and has tons and tons of reviews for it (as in customer ones from newegg)

There is an AGP AND PCI-E board out there....but I dunno if it's for 754 or 939.

I've had past difficulties with a chaintech Geforce FX 5200, but i do like cheap, and if its had good reviews, i'll look into it. I do have time to decide, i'll probably get my new mobo after christmas.

Tomatosaurus[RE said:
There is a few 754 boards with both AGP & PCI-Express out there, but they all have very crippled AGP performance.

I'm not so sure it would even matter, AGP cards don't even use near all of their bandwith.

I think having PCI-E is justifiable anyway.

so you think that if i find one with an agp that is parallel to a 4x it wouldnt make a large impact of what an 8x does? Maybe i should run at 4x for a bit to see if i notice a marginable difference then decide for myself, but if an AGP card doesnt use all of its bandwidth, would a pci-e? or is pci-e entierly different and i shouldnt bring up that thought. Whichever way i need a new motherboard for overclocking, thankfully this one i have was free so any damage i do to it is ok with me i just gotta be careful with periferials.

Back