• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

were should i start to learn to volt mod video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirkillalot

Registered
like the title saids were should i start to learn to volt mod video card i have many old video to start with can any one start me off ?

I would start by reading an article at RojakPot like this one:

9600 volt mod

and then take one of your older cards and just practice soldering on some of the points that look similiar..... all volt mods occur on the legs of ICs, solder joints, or resistors, all of which are on even the old cards so you can practice soldering from the leg of one IC to one of the small resistors or something like that.

Get a lot of practice on your older cards to steady your hand and try and get used to being able to solder quickly on the boards.... I use the following steps for my strong soldering iron:
(1) tin the tip of the wire that I'm going to solder onto the board
-tinning is just getting a good solder layer on the bare portion of the wire.
(2) Put the tinned tip on whatever part that you're going to solder to
(3) Hold the iron on the wire for a 5-7 count ("one thousand one, one thousand two....)
(4) Keeping the hand holding the wire steady, remove the iron and keep holding for 5-10 seconds to allow the joint to cool.
(5) Take a hot glue gun and cover the joint with hot glue to protect it from breaking off or shorting on another wire.

For the lower power irons (like the 15W irons from Radioshack), just hold it on the wire for 10 seconds or so.

that article is very helpful but since the video cards are bit old i cant find a guide to volt mod them. the video cards r matrox mga apg and a pci t but i cant find there names, and a matrox mystique 220, and a ati 7500 .

mtb856 said:
I would start by reading an article at RojakPot like this one:

9600 volt mod

and then take one of your older cards and just practice soldering on some of the points that look similiar..... all volt mods occur on the legs of ICs, solder joints, or resistors, all of which are on even the old cards so you can practice soldering from the leg of one IC to one of the small resistors or something like that.

Get a lot of practice on your older cards to steady your hand and try and get used to being able to solder quickly on the boards.... I use the following steps for my strong soldering iron:
(1) tin the tip of the wire that I'm going to solder onto the board
-tinning is just getting a good solder layer on the bare portion of the wire.
(2) Put the tinned tip on whatever part that you're going to solder to
(3) Hold the iron on the wire for a 5-7 count ("one thousand one, one thousand two....)
(4) Keeping the hand holding the wire steady, remove the iron and keep holding for 5-10 seconds to allow the joint to cool.
(5) Take a hot glue gun and cover the joint with hot glue to protect it from breaking off or shorting on another wire.

For the lower power irons (like the 15W irons from Radioshack), just hold it on the wire for 10 seconds or so.

holding the iron for 5-7 seconds is LONG.

3-4 seconds should do it. some components can die at 5 seocnds or more (hell some can even die at 3seconds of the heat coming from an iron)

Well, if you don't hold it long enough you won't create a joint between the two metals... and it all depends on how powerful your iron is, with a Radioshack iron it can take 5 seconds just to melt the solder.

You're probably right though, although I've never had any problems with my components after I've held the iron on there that long it would probably be a good idea to just melt the solder and then glue the joint than risk destroying an IC or resistor.

mtb856 said:
Well, if you don't hold it long enough you won't create a joint between the two metals... and it all depends on how powerful your iron is, with a Radioshack iron it can take 5 seconds just to melt the solder.

You're probably right though, although I've never had any problems with my components after I've held the iron on there that long it would probably be a good idea to just melt the solder and then glue the joint than risk destroying an IC or resistor.

if it takes 5 seconds to melt solder, something is wrong. I have a RS 15w and a RS 40w. Both melt solder instantly.

Tend to agree...I guess I take about 2 seconds with a 15w RS. I killed a 9800np a while back by exposing the card to a 30 watter for a bit longer. Fried the IC controlling the memory voltage. If you can't get the perfect joint the first time around, its better to just let go for a few seconds and try again, rather than fiddle with it with the iron.

for the soldering aspect.. practice.. for the figuring of what to put where on the card, you can read THIS and it should pretty much explain it all. i have a soldering guide stickied that tells how i solder to small things, people say its a good guide :-D

once you have a start and have read that thread on how to do your own mod, you can lways post here and we can help, but well ask for chip numbers and if possible nice quality pics or scanned images of the card so we can see the parts and some trace layouts and where pins can be accessed and all. hope it all goes well for ya.

even without the pics, the text should be quite informative :)

also, might be helpful to google and read as much on switching power supplies as you can, to get the theory of how they work down. then looking up some datasheets, comparing circuits, and a little math should result in sucessful volt mods.

Back