• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reg file that contains changes made after any single software installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Even if software is installed on a different partition, once you reimage your Windows partition, the software may no longer work, but if there was a .reg file of all the registry changes that were made after installation... you could just simply import them, right?

What's the best way to track all the changes that are made in the registry after you install any single program and make a reg file of those changes?

This would be for a game installation, where settings, saved games etc. would not be important, just the ability to play the game quickly once every few months.

maybe.. in regedit save a copy of the reg before and after install... then use some kind of prog to seperate the parts that are different... then those could be compiled into a .reg file and simply run that file and it puts everything in place ?

this is just me stabbin blindly pretty much.

Is Regmon free or shareware by the way?

Very much free. :D I would not link a payware. Unless there was no choice. If this don't work and there is trialware, I will note the terms of use. :D I think the app will hit the spot. :D

Typically if I have to do this I'll export the branch out of the registry and store it into my archives before my reformat(I'm actaully a little over do for one now). After you reinstall everything, you should be able to run the regfile you exported(and provided the directory/dive structure is the same) you should have almost no problems...

Back