• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
I just ordered a new 580watt PSU for my video file server. the old 400 was getting ready to blow all its caps, and burn. I'm kinda in the modding mood for the new unit and want to know what type of mods I can do to this? Windows?, Fans? (Well, for sure), Painting, Lights? IDK, but I want to mess with this thing, before loseing it inside the server case.

Currently I am thinking of building a Mesh box with some window effects and lights. might change that though.

Thinking about voiding the warranty before you even have the new psu :p awesome. Anyway I cant think of anything other than the stuff you already mentioned. its pretty much all the standard fair. Cant wait to see what you decide to do though :)

I think you should go with your disco ball idea :)
I have a few ideas of what I want to do for my next project so id rather not say but giving a window to it is an obvious option which is also quite simple yet very attractive.

transfering all the internals into a black mesh (tight mesh) case would look REALLY GOOD! a blue 4" cold cathode x2 would top it off nicely :)

Thats pretty much what i have in mind. might even use my moving lights mod in it :D
some other added features, just for fun might be a power on LED, maybe another led to show the unit plugged in. I am sure I will need to add some Molex connectors on a separate line or two.

WOW! It arrived already, Fastest shipping these folks have ever done for me.
The PSU was ordered thursday night (probably friday morning just before 4a.m., and it arrived at 9 a.m. this morning! yay to the geeks!

Aanyhoo, the victim is ready to be looked at. However I will put this thing under a load test during the weekend and measure the voltages and heat out.
I dont want any burnouts in the video server.
The victim:
psu1.jpg

psu2.jpg

Ive never heard of that psu before im intrested to see how those rails hold up under load. Can you post the specs for it?

For $20 These PSUs are really nothing special, but are a great general purpose unit
for the average or so computer user. I have one in my main rig that powers:
1 CD-RW (one is SCSI)
1 CDR
1 DVD
1 DVD RW
4 Hard Drives at 500GB total
3 Nics, (1 is gigabit)
Video Encoding Cards
Lights, 4 Volt Modded fans, and some other stuff I may have forgotten about...

Features/Specifications:
Echo Star 580-Watt ATX Power Supply

General Features:
580 Watt Total
115VAC, 230VAC 50-60Hz switchable power supply
One (1) 12-inch ATX power connector
One (1) 12-inch 12V ATX power connector
Six (6) Large 4-pin Molex connectors
Two (2) Small 4-pin Floppy connectors
High Efficiency
Over Current Protection
Over Power Protection
Short Circuit Protection
100% Full Load Burn-In

Power Specifications:
+3.3V , 35A
+5V , 45A
+12V , 19A
-5V , 0.5A
-12V , 0.8A
+5Vsb , 3A

Regulatory Approvals:
CE
CB
Femko

Unit Dimensions:
3.25" x 5.5" x 6" (H x W x D)approximate

Last edited:
Haha, "Femko"... Sounds like a feminine hygiene product...

A mod I really like is switching out the PSU's switch with one that glows when switched on. Very cool, but simple and neat.

How about a pulsating warp plasma effect.
Sounds like a "May-Pop" PSU (the caps may-pop anytime). I would stress it with some crappy hardware before hanging expensive toys on it! But then again cheap does not always mean junk in todays import market :D

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:
How about a pulsating warp plasma effect.
Sounds like a "May-Pop" PSU (the caps may-pop anytime). I would stress it with some crappy hardware before hanging expensive toys on it! But then again cheap does not always mean junk in todays import market :D
Im not worried, I have one on my main rig and seems rock steady enough for me. Voltages have always remained constant and correct. Considering the environment it is in, other PSUs would have given ghost long ago. I totally ruined a good fortron in there once.

I saw a site (maybe referenced here) where the guy cut a spider web design into the sides of his PSU and them polished it. Mesh would be cool with lighted fans, may not even need CCFL lights or LEDs.

You could also do a custom bondo case for the PSU :p

Well that will be another thread sometime in the coming weeks. gotta *bondo...* finish this PSU first. Oh the *bondo...* trouble if I can't watch movies! I think that I saw sometlhing of an interesting shape on the *bondo...* Mini-ITX website. that might look good as a bondo type project. *bondo...* .I will have to consider the general appearance first*bondo...* before I get started.

Back on topic *bondo...* I am nearly done with the testing of the PSU and things look *bondo...* good. I used one of my older Dual CPU mobos to run Folding in knoppix (slow*bondo...* as anything,) but a good power test when adding 6 older hard drives *bondo...* just to spinup and run the entire time. that PSU never even got warm*bondo...*

Subliminal messages make me want to go buy....bondo!
bondo...
bondo...
bondo...
*drives to home depot*
BONDO!

Cant wait to see what you come up with for the PSU.

Back