• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer keeps crashing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

Basically, My ram is stable in 30 passes of test #5 and test #8. It's prime stable 24 hours. I was watching an underground fight and my computer blue screened. Now whenever I play cs:s, my computer reboots itself after like 3-4 minutes into the game. Prime still continues to run 4-5 hours (haven't had the time to test it farther.) I got the new 2 gig mushkin redlines to replace my 1 gig redlines and it seems like ever since I went down to 2.5-3-2-8 with Charlies 100% stable settings, my computer has been acting funny.

*EDIT* I was typing during my virus scanning and my computer rebooted right after I finished typing this.

Priming right now and its chugging along fine. Do I need to do a windows repair after I blue-screen?

Last edited:
After 17 minutes, I get 100 errors and it says ERROR:ILLEGAL SUMOUT. Well, its been stable ever since I got this computer. Why I'm all of a sudden getting errors now I don't know.

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Maybe it's just me, but I have been hearing my fair share of 'issues' with these new 2GB sets, particularly those involving Crucial Ballistix.

However, I do hope that you have taken the time to do your own search for stable settings. Take it from me - occassionally I have to re-tweak my system to make it stable every now and again, and this becomes even more imperative once I switch to a new bios.

I suppose that I cannot give you a concrete solution, but I advise you to (a) play around with the settings yourself and (b) memtest the sticks at stock speeds.

If all else fails, I would suggest an RMA.

deception``

Thats the problem. These sticks are rock solid in memtest with anything I throw at them. 30 passes in test 5 and 8 no problem. I used charlie's stable settings as a guide to guage what I needed to do based on how other ce-6 timings work. I don't think the ram is bad. I meant after 17 minutes of prime95 not memtest.

Thats odd. I tried 2.5-3-2-8 in memtest and it ran all day again 30 passes of test 5 and test8. Was still crashing in prime 95. Backed it off to 3-3-3-8 and it seems to be running fine now. I just find that really wierd that 2.5-3-2-8 was stable in prime for 24 hours and today it fails in 17 mins. I guess a lot of people are having problems with the ce-6 2 gig kits.

Meathead said:
After 17 minutes, I get 100 errors and it says ERROR:ILLEGAL SUMOUT. Well, its been stable ever since I got this computer. Why I'm all of a sudden getting errors now I don't know.

Sudden Prime95 failure can be caused by bad caps (capacitors) . Are any caps bulging?

The processor may be overheating. Also, the PSU may be bad.

For more information about the bad cap issue, please go to the following web site:

http://badcaps.net

With bad caps, the symptoms will keep on getting worse until you can't complete the loading of an OS then failing to POST. Then eventually, the board may not power on.

Getting worse then eventually not even able to keep the board powered on, when pushing the power button, the fans spin briefly then stop are often-reported symptoms of bad caps.

Last edited:
well it seems to be running fine at 3-3-3-8 so far. I wonder if something happened to the ram to make it unable to run those tight timings after a while. I couldn't tell the difference between the bad caps and good caps other than the bad ones were tilted over. Some of mine were tilted but some were also tilted on my nf7-s and that board is still rock solid.

Meathead said:
well it seems to be running fine at 3-3-3-8 so far. I wonder if something happened to the ram to make it unable to run those tight timings after a while. I couldn't tell the difference between the bad caps and good caps other than the bad ones were tilted over. Some of mine were tilted but some were also tilted on my nf7-s and that board is still rock solid.

Actually, even ones that are OK are sometimes tilted, because they had to mount them in an angle.

For bad caps, look for a domed top, which looks like it's getting pushed up. If any top is domed, you have bad caps. The same if they're leaking. If there's any cap with some brown stuff on the top of a cap or around a cap.

The caps in the attachment are not leaking, but bulging. Notice how the tops of them are domed:

Attachments

• se6_caps2.jpg
    se6_caps2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back