• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Honey Comb Theory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twyst

In nature honey bees arrange their combs in a vertical fashion to increase the flow of cool air from bottom to top.

I don't currently posses the funds or technical expertise to mod a motherboard to mount the PCI/AGP slots in a vertical manner. But I'd like to get an opinion as to how the mounting of the PCI/AGP portion of a motherboard in a vertial fashion would effect airflow and temperature and how difficult/unlikely this mod would be. ( Idea would be air duct in on bottom with fans blowing up and venting hot air out of top of case).

Oh yeah, I'm new to the boards so please be kind. :)

I dont beleive mounting the boards
vertically will help much.

If you really want to try it you can always
get one of those standard desktop cases,
insted of a tower case.

If you really want good cooling,
try better case fans and HSFs.
Or you can go to a wattercooling, or
even a vapochill. Unless you want to
experiment with liquid nitro :D - 100%
chance of damage over a long period of
time ;).

You sayed you dont have much $$$
so just get better fans in my opinion.

I hear however, ducts are very effective.

And here I though bees did it because the honeycomb is the strongest shape that you can attain with 100% surface coverage...unlike the strongest shape possible (the circle) which wont give 100% coverage....

Wow, bees are smarter than I thought. I always figured the did it because the were genetically programmed to.

Go figure.

nihili

Thanks for the warm welcome Yman.

I hadn't realized that was why bees did that either, was actually my dad's idea. He saw me browsing www.overclockers.com and asked if anyone had thought of arranging the case like that. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Some servers are arranged like that. The only way I can think to mod a motherboard like that is to use risers with ribbon cables. I think servercase.com sells some.

Since this is the alternative modding forum, how about you make a beehive out of your case and let the bees take care of the heat.
:D
Just kidding. It's an interesting idea, but I don't think that there's much of an application as far as mere single processor comps are concerned. If you had a bunch of components giving off heat though, I think you'd have something. I love all the ideas I find here.

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for the idea... I wonder.... Ill post my thoughts in the correct thread... Ill post the link here as well...

Just tip your tower on its side...

Seriously, the reason bees do this is they do not have fans.

It is kinda like one of those silent imacs, no fans, just a few vents designed to let air in and out to cool it. Does it work? Ask my friend with the DEAD imac. Steve jobs doesn't like fans, or so I am told. Whatever.

I also read somewhere that sometimes bees will stand at the entrance to the hive and flap their wings to increase air flow, I am serious...

Conclusion? Bees are smarter than Steve Jobs.

:D

Back