• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brother's computer needs an upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

Yeah, I rarely make treads like this nowadays, but opinions are always helpful.

My brother feels like he needs to upgrade his computer, since he's starting to feel some slowness from his new game, CS:S.

He currently has:
AMD 3400+ 1MB Cache
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe skt754
3x512MB, 2 Corsair Value, 1 Samsung Value
PNY FX5950 Ultra 256MB AGP
Generic 480W PSU
Seagate 120GB SATA HDD
Creative Sound Audigy 2ZS
Sony 17" SDM-HX73 LCD, 1280x1024 native resolution

He usually plays a buncha Half-life games, mainly CS, CS:S, and Team Fortress. He also plays a buncha MMOs and Starcraft BW and all that.

I was thinking of either getting the X850XT PE, or upgrade the whole thing, but then it might be a tad overkill just to upgrade the whole thing to run CS:S.

His ram looks fine, plus he only has 3 DIMMs on it, so can't add another 512MB stick. I might get a new HDD, since all he does is game more or less, would a Raptor sound good, especially how cheap their becoming, ~$120 or so at newegg.

So yeah, any opinion on what other things you could do to it that would yield better performance? He doesn't have too much of a limit on budget, but it's not worth it to buy a whole new system for CS:S. Might be worth it just to get a new video card. Not too sure how the FX5950 stacks up in gaming, didn't find too many reviews on it.

I'd stick with the X850XT PE and an new HDD. The Raptor is getting cheaper, with the 36.7GB on Newegg going for $104.50. The 74GB version is for about $160 on the Egg.

Back